Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #1  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Default Owowow...

I was out running, right after I had eaten something, and one of the reasons why I was wearing out was because my stomach was hurting so bad. I almost wanted to puke, even after I had stopped for a while.
Okay, so I figured out you shouldn't do cardio right after eating. Does anyone know why that is? I won't do it anymore, I'm just kinda curious as to why...
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i dont have a medical answer for you but for me, personally, any kind of food sloshing about in my stomach is unpleasant and i suppose could make you feel like puking...ive never felt as bad as puking but i definitely HATE running with almost anything in my stomach

i can handle running after a protein shake or a bite of peanut butter but anything more than that doesnt feel good...and also not immediately after eating those, perhaps 15-30 minutes afterwards
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

This happened to me this week when I ate a bit too much before a workout, although I thought I hadn't... The reason was because my body was working trying to digest my food instead of working on helping my muscles, lungs and the rest of my body during my workout... This is a common occurence and we need to figure out how much is too much or too little to eat before a workout... I know it sucks and it has only happened to me a couple of times in over 20 years of working out...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #4  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

If I have no other choice I can eat before I workout, but it has to be very small and easy to digest. But normally I try to eat lightly 2-3 hours before a workout rather than immediately before.

The reason you are supposed to wait has to do with blood flow. If you run while food is in your stomach, a rush of blood flows away from the digestive system making it harder for your body to process the food and to the areas it is needed for you to run (like Ilene said to the muscles and lungs). This makes the exercise possible, but might compromise the food sitting around in your stomach. If your body can't handle it, it will get rid of it.
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #5  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Ohh I see, that makes sense.
So, what about water? It's been hot y'know, and I've been limiting my running only to when the sun is down, but it's still fairly humid and warm, and so I find I need to drink water. Then my stomach was doing it again, only it wasn't as bad, and it was a lot easier to put up with. I guess the same goes for water?
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #6  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

It is best not to chug huge amounts of water ever, but especially while working out. Its not exactly the same as having a bunch of food in your stomach, but a ton of water can also be uncomfortable. Make sure you are hydrated all day, sip water throughout activity, then thoroughly rehydrate after. I just hate that waterlogged sloshy feeling when I'm working out.
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote