3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Is 2 hours a day working out okay? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/261712-2-hours-day-working-out-okay.html)

BlackBarbieKiss125 06-26-2012 02:48 AM

Is 2 hours a day working out okay?

I try to work out for at least an hour but have been getting in more like 45 mins a day. My goal is 2 hours a day everyday if possible.

I do elliptical mostly because right now I am about 220 and don't want to damage my knees. Also I am doing low cal/carb.

Anyone ever done anything similar?

seagirl 06-26-2012 06:48 AM

The only time I've worked out for 2 hours a day is if I do a bike ride in the morning and a swim at night, or hiked for 2+ hours, or gone rock climbing.
I wouldn't not want to spend 2 hours in the gym.

Are you just doing the elliptical? Maybe incorporate weight machines or free weights to work on building muscle. Most gyms have someone who will show you how to use them.

DrivenByAmbition 06-26-2012 07:44 AM

Why two hours? How many days a week? I don't think it's the best idea to do that everyday.

krampus 06-26-2012 09:54 AM

2 hours on the elliptical every day? Why not change that up, go for a 1 hour walk and then spend the other hour doing elliptical/weights?

Iyakamae 06-26-2012 12:29 PM

I'm on the elliptical currently at least 5 days a week and then throw in some yoga on top of that 2-3 times a week. I constantly wonder how effective my workout is, but I still have more weight I want to loose before starting to weight train. Most of that stems from the fact that I want to be able to enjoy doing it, before I get started. I tend to stick to it better, if I do it that way.

I think 2 hours is a stretch, especially if you are pushing for an all in one session. It can become incredibly tedious doing the same thing over and over again. Walking and running are a great idea if you're able to get out of the house. Or split it up by doing some in the morning and then some in the afternoon.

I like to listen to music, mainly because it drowns out the squeaking of the machine, but also because I just love listening to music.

Good luck!

lm3898 06-26-2012 03:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with working out for two hours - although I assume you are not totally non-stop for those two hours [like water breaks, changing machines, stretching etc.]? Most people who play sports will work out for at least or more than two hours several days a week. HOWEVER - two hours can be a lot/too much if your body is not conditioned for it so it might be better to work up to a longer workout rather than jumping right in.

Also I have to ask, do you enjoy working out? Are you planning on working out for two hours to burn more calories or because you genuinely like the gym because if it's to lose weight, you really REALLY don't need to be spending two hours/day there.

I would focus more on the quality of your workouts [building up your combination cardio/strength training i.e. HIIT training, harder machines, tougher cardio etc.] rather than the quantity - I think you'll see a much bigger difference.

philana 06-26-2012 05:21 PM

I agree with the other posters - 2 hours is fine but if you spent them in the gym it's gonna burn you out. Unless you absolutely adore hanging onto the elliptical in a sterile enviroment full of people sweating themselves silly. In which case I'll sh*t up right now.

If you don't then you should see if you can do something you like. I got a roadbike and love it so much, I can be out on a ride for 2 hours or even 4 hours if I bring enough food and good music. I enjoy running so before I know it it's 1h30 - poof gone. Just from being outside, seeing such nice nature and listening to my music.

So, bottom like: make it fun. Your body might be able to take it, but your mind won't if you don't like it. I gave up on the gym because it's really just no fun to me.

Edit: Oh, and I can exercise for 2 hours in a row now because I have been building it upf or the past YEAR. So if you are a serious beginner, don't try to cycle for 2 hours. But do as krampus said - walk an hour and go to the gym or go swimming. Make sure you eat enough so your body can recover nicely and your endurance can grow.

BlackBarbieKiss125 06-26-2012 08:56 PM

Okay.

It is mostly 1:30 min elliptical and short stretch break then 30 mins of walking on 3.0.

The entire time I am listening to fast inspiring music. I am thinking of switching to say 2 days on 1 day off since I am worried about my joints.

lin43 06-27-2012 08:07 AM

I wouldn't want to work out in the gym for two hours, but I regularly exercise for two hours a day on my tread desk (Google it). Sometimes, I'll do an hour of walking w/ my tread desk and take a 50-minute fitness class at the gym as well (usually some sort of resistance work) or a bike ride that lasts 30 minutes or so. So, my average daily workout is 1 1/2 - 2 hours. However, if I had to go to the gym and exercise on some sort of fitness equipment for two hours, I wouldn't be able to do that long term. I find it too boring. But to each her own. You can try it, but don't beat yourself up if you get burned out with it. If that happens, just change your workout plan. Do the best you can.

DietVet 06-27-2012 01:02 PM

If you don't mind slogging away on the elliptical for 2 hours every day, then by all means do it. I would bear in mind though that you're going to be working towards diminishing returns with that--you're training your body to become REALLY efficient at using the elliptical. You don't want it to be efficient, you want it to have to work really hard to cope with what you're doing. Do mix up the intensity and do other stuff from time to time as well (weight lifting! HIIT!).

The other thing is that you should not become convinced that you MUST do 2 hours a day or you're a failure/lazy/whatever. That much cardio is really not necessary--honestly, I don't know that it is even desirable. 45 minutes of steady state cardio is great. 20 minutes of high intensity intervals is FANTASTIC. 45 minutes of weights is fabulous. Don't become fixated on the low intensity steady state cardio at the expense of all the other things that are so much better for fitness and fat-burning.

MissPenchi 06-27-2012 03:01 PM

2 hours is fine. People on the biggest loser do more then that. And BeachBody has videos that are at least an hour (p90x) But I would switch it up and add some weights....
I heard somewhere that 30 minutes of the eliptical was = (in calorie burning) to 10 minutes on the treadmill.