First time running!

• I have set a new mini goal for myself... include running in my work outs each day. I have kept it vague on purpose, not setting a time or distance goal, because, well, I hate running. I have no lung capacity for it whatsoever. But I figure that if I just do SOME each day, it's better than nothing.
    The reason I want to include running is because I know I need some cardio. What I've been doing up to now is push ups and sit ups, squats, stuff like that, and doing ok. Seen a little progress. But I'm still so out of breath when I do some basic things. Just going for a walk to the other end of the yard can make me short of breath! Plus, I know cardio is really good for the heart.
    SO... I started today on our "road". My hubby built a perfectly long, straight dirt road a couple of years ago that goes to the back of the property. He uses it for hauling lumber out of the woods. Well, he informed me the other day that the road is exactly a 1/4 mile long. That got me to thinking. That is the perfect length to ease into this whole running thing. AND it's completely private! No neighbors to see me stumble towards the end, totally out of breath! LOL. So today, I jogged from one end to the other and back... that's a 1/2 mile!! That's a big accomplishment for me!! Granted I thought I was going asthmatic at the end, but I did it! I'd like to do that every day until I can still breathe at the end of a 1/2 mile, then I'll increase by a 1/4 mile each time. I hope I can stick with it!! I feel better today already!!
  • I also forgot to ask... If anyone has any tips on how to breathe easier during/after running, or advice in general, it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Are you sure you don't have any condition like exercise induced asthma? If you don't and this is really difficult for you, maybe you should try and google "couch to 5k" plan so you don't do too much too soon and you can get an idea of walking/running. If you are out of breath walking across your lawn, you might get some good advice with a walk to run plan.
  • Yay for running! Well, not really, I don't much like it either, haha, but I'm doing C25K and so far, so good. Anyways, an old trick I learned when I was athletic and did sporty things, was to raise your arms above your head when you're really out of breath. I guess it's supposed to help open your diaphram - but I think it's really just a psychological thing (you think it works, so it does). I think your best bet would be to try out some breathing exercises (like these: http://www.livestrong.com/article/10...ing-exercises/) or try some at home yoga or meditation that focuses on breathing - this would have to be done before running however (I find that the bit of yoga I've done has really helped me to control my breathing when I'm out of breath).

If you are worried that you may have exercise induced asthma though, I would get that checked out, just incase.
  • Thanks for the advice and encouragement! Maybe I SHOULD ask my doc about exercise induced asthma. It only happens when I run, or strenuous biking, like uphill. It seriously feels like my lungs are going to explode. That's the only way to describe it. They just feel huge in my chest, and really cold. Hm.
    EricAnn, I will try the arm thing, and I'm going to check out that link now. Thanks!
  • Yea Katie, if you are not a smoker, I can't see why it would be that bad. You are not even overweight based on your numbers so I can't see why you would feel like that - you might want to get it checked out but that's just my .02!

Even if you do have E.I.A or something similar, it's really not too bad - I have it & just use a puff or two of my inhaler before a workout & it does a world of good - I can go so much further on my runs. Of course, it could be nothing and just takes time & conditioning! Good luck - look into couch to 5k if you want some training plans.

Good luck.
  • Quote: Yea Katie, if you are not a smoker, I can't see why it would be that bad. You are not even overweight based on your numbers so I can't see why you would feel like that - you might want to get it checked out but that's just my .02!
    Not being overweight (and not smoking) doesn't necessarily mean being in good enough cardiovascular condition to run without sucking wind. Especially the first time trying to run.
  • i do have exercise induced asthma...but i also suffer from seasonal allergies, cat allergies, food sensitivities, and exercise-induced hives if i've taken any medications prior to a workout....anyhow, i used to take Advair before a workout and it helped tremendously...i dont use it right now but i will use my inhaler before a workout

one other thing that helps me tremendously is to run in intervals...right now i run a quarter-mile, walk 30 seconds, run another quarter mile, etc because it helps me catch my breath and then continue...i KNOW i have the endurance to run two miles straight through (i've tried it and can do it but it nearly killed my lungs, it felt like)...and i do as many quarter mile intervals of running as i want to

i up the difficulty of the intervals by running at higher speeds on the treadmill and at an incline if i choose to....

and lastly, a trick my runner friend taught me, was to pace your breaths with your footfalls...for example, breath in 1-2-3 footfalls, then exhale, breath in 1-2-3 footfalls etc...and it really helps me when i'm nearing the end of an interval and struggle to breathe correctly

PM me if you want more running info or about the asthma management
  • Quote: Not being overweight (and not smoking) doesn't necessarily mean being in good enough cardiovascular condition to run without sucking wind. Especially the first time trying to run.
    Agreed - I was more worried about the fact that OP said she was out of breath from WALKING across her front lawn. That seems to be a little surprising/worrisome.
  • Alaskan, GREAT ideas! Thank you so much! I really think I over did it my first time. I should have run a 1/4, then walked it, then run another one.
    And btw, I don't get massively short of breath just walking across the yard. I puff a little, but that's my body's way of telling me "Hey! you haven't done ANY cardio in YEARS woman!" Also... my yard is a 1 1/2 acres across. We live on a farm and have lots of land here, so when I say yard it's more like a pasture, lol.
  • A tip for breathing that really helps me when running is to breathe in through your nose and out with your mouth. Even though its hard to do at times, try to take big / deep breaths 'cause if you don't your sides might start cramping up. Also, don't increase distance / speed too quickly. I went from 2 miles to 4 miles in about a week - 2 weeks, and I got horrible shin splints so I couldn't run for a couple of weeks