Heavy weights are heavy!

• And I love it!

I recently passed my 10 pound dumbbells along to another friend and bought 15 pound dumbbells for lifting. They are heavy! I can only do about 10-12 reps of my exercises with them. For now. I can feel and see my muscles growing. And my whole core and body is working to stabilize me while I lift them.

So I'm jumping on the heavy weight (for me) bandwagon!
  • Cool!
  • Awesome! I felt like that when I conquered 5lbs on all exercises then am at 8-15 depending. You are just that much stronger and the feeling of those muscles that were def not there before is worth it Congrats.
  • I agree. When I went from 10 to 15 pounders, I noticed a difference. But you know what? I worked out with my "skinny friend" today. She was lifting 50 pounds to 70 lbs less on all the leg machines, could not do deadlifts, and conked out halfway through our lunges. I love feeling strong! And most of all, I love seeing how much firmer I am getting. If I can't be thin, or even a normal weight, at least I am strong. Keep lifting!
  • And when I was doing practice for our obstacle course race on Saturday, no one could do the monkey bars, I was like "I'll try them on last time" since I'd never done more than one before. I got through 5 bars! So the strength training really does work. As does the core work, since I realized half of the monkey bar work is in your core.
  • It depends what exercises you are doing. I wouldnt reccommend doing all muscle groups on same weight, adjust accordingly. As the 15 may be to light /heavy for different muscles.
    But its great that you have went heavier thats the key.
    10-12reps is great once you can do more you need to go heavier or you will step in to endurance training not strength.
    Youll be amazed at what you can manage.
    Ive went from really light womanly weights to quite heavy in 4months and seeing FAB results , still have fat to lose but my muscles are shaping nicely, i actually have a bicep
    My gym work in kgs
    heres a guide to what i lift now and at first i was on the lowest.

Biceps 10kg =22lbs
    chest 12.5kg = 27.5lbs
    Lower back 20kg = 44lbs
    upper back 35lbs

thats just a rounh guide and it hasnt took me long to build my strength i started on 4kg dumbells 8.8lbs

Its really worth the effort..........keep at it and good luck xx
  • Quote: It depends what exercises you are doing. I wouldnt reccommend doing all muscle groups on same weight, adjust accordingly. As the 15 may be to light /heavy for different muscles.
    But its great that you have went heavier thats the key.
    10-12reps is great once you can do more you need to go heavier or you will step in to endurance training not strength.
    Youll be amazed at what you can manage.
    Ive went from really light womanly weights to quite heavy in 4months and seeing FAB results , still have fat to lose but my muscles are shaping nicely, i actually have a bicep
    My gym work in kgs
    heres a guide to what i lift now and at first i was on the lowest.

Biceps 10kg =22lbs
    chest 12.5kg = 27.5lbs
    Lower back 20kg = 44lbs
    upper back 35lbs

thats just a rounh guide and it hasnt took me long to build my strength i started on 4kg dumbells 8.8lbs

Its really worth the effort..........keep at it and good luck xx
    Thanks. All I have are 15 pound dumbells and a 20 pound kettlebell. I'm not planning on buy lots of dumbells, and using 1 weight has always worked for me. Sounds like you have a good gym plan for yourself!