Spankings, Wedgies and High Fives - My June 2012 Exercise Log

• Quad skating is my new obsession. The main reason I'm jogging is to strengthen my legs so I can skate better. Since my unexpected* goal is to become a roller derby girl, I'd better learn, and fast!

*My goal is unexpected because I've probably skated 10 times in my whole life. On annual school field trips to the rink, I was always paired with the kid who was unbalanced/special needs/missing a toe/as uncool as I was. That tells you how bad of a skater I was...and still am.

My skating and jogging challenge for June is as follows:
    1. Wear skates indoors while doing chores for 1 hour 5 days a week.
    2. Jog for 20-30 minutes every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
    3. Attend 5 adult skating classes.
    4. Fall down at least 5 times a week and practice falling every time I strap on my skates.
    5. Do a 30-45 second plank every day.

I invite any and all of you to hold me accountable for either succeeding or failing to meet my goals. Virtual high-fives, spankings, snake bites, @ss-slaps, kisses, and wedgies are all accepted. Let's turn this wobbly, tearful scaredy-cat into a sleek panther of power!!!
  •  
  • Wow, cool goals, ... Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!
  • Sounds like a fun self-challenge! Good luck
  • Thanks ladies!

So far this week has been a challenge. My sister-in-law broke her ankle and I've been helping her around the house. I would love to wear my skates in her house while helping, but the fear of falling ON her has kept me from doing that. Plus, she has a 7-month-old that I could drop/fall on too. It's crazy!

Here's my progress for the week:
    Wear skates 5 hours: 1 hour completed
    Jog 4 days: 1 day completed
    Attend 5 skating classes: 1 class completed
    Fall 5 times: 0 falls
    Do a plank 7 days: 1 day completed...this is ridiculous...it takes less than a minute to complete! Motivation is a funny, fickle thing.
  • This is such a fun goal! And what an amazing thing to discover about yourself. I've been wanting to buy skates for some time now but I keep chickening out for fear I'll kill myself. Keep it up! I look forward to following your progress.

Get on with those planks, lady!
  • I was super scared too! But, after my first time falling, I was like "why was I so scared???" It also helps to have knee pads and wrist guards The most common injury in roller skating is wrist injuries.

I'm totally doing a plank right after I get done on 3FC!!!
  • Here's how I did last week...not the best, but still a start:

Wear skates indoors: 1/5 hours
    Jog for 20-30 minutes 4 days/week: Yes! 4/4!
    Attend 5 adult skating classes in June. 2/5 classes
    Fall down at least 5 times a week and practice falling every time I strap on my skates: 1/5 falls
    Do a 30-45 second plank every day: 2/7 planks
  • Last week's tally:
    Wear skates indoors: 1/5 hours
    Jog for 20-30 minutes 4 days/week: Again, a success. 4/4!
    Attend 5 adult skating classes in June. 3/5 classes
    Fall down at least 5 times a week and practice falling every time I strap on my skates: 2/5 falls
    Do a 30-45 second plank every day: 3/7 planks, getting better!
  • Hey Redvelouria, I just realized while reading your mini-goal progress that we are both from Minnesota! This is an awesome goal, I know that roller derby is big in MN, I've been to a few meets and it is super exciting and a little scary. My old theater directer recently starting skating, she loves it. Good luck on your goals each week!
  • Quote: Hey Redvelouria, I just realized while reading your mini-goal progress that we are both from Minnesota! This is an awesome goal, I know that roller derby is big in MN, I've been to a few meets and it is super exciting and a little scary. My old theater directer recently starting skating, she loves it. Good luck on your goals each week!
    MN is such a well-kept secret, isn't it? I love it here, and everyone thinks MN is mosquito-filled in the summer and a tundra in the winter

Skating is such a great and cheap way to exercise...like biking! Thanks for the support girl!
  • Congrats on meeting your 180 goal!
  • Quote: Congrats on meeting your 180 goal!
    Thank you very much!
  • Congratulations on 180! Woot! Almost a week late... but better than never, right?

Glad to see you're still updating and it's great that you've been slowly improving. How did you do this last week?

I was thinking about ways to remember to do planks every day and thought what if you tried to tack it on to the beginning or end of something that you already do every day? For instance, brushing your teeth in the morning or taking medication or something like that.