Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Am I working *too* hard?!

I noticed something interesting at the gym this morning. It's something I've noticed before, but now I'm wondering if anyone else here has, too.

I was on the treadmill, just powerwalking away (I don't run; I'm not sure why, but I seem to have a psychological block of some kind when it comes to running) and I noticed that the two women on the treadmills to my right were having a grand old conversation with each other while they were working out. Now, I know that for some people, going to the gym can be a social thing as much as a fitness routine (especially at the one I go to; it's a Y, so there are a lot of older people) but....like, I can't even imagine being physically *able* to hold a conversation while I'm working out. I mean, talking is just impossible.

And I guess I'm just wondering: *should* a person be able to talk while working out? Is the fact that I *can't* talk while I'm working out a problem; am I working too hard? I don't feel any undue fatigue when I'm done; no shortness of breath that's a problem (obviously my breathing is deep and often when I'm working out, but that's different.)

Does anyone else here work hard enough that they can't carry on a conversation while they work out? I mean, I can't be the only one (even if I seem to be the only one at my gym who does so....)
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Sorry, but you're not working too hard unless you're getting injured.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

No I wouldn't say you're working too hard at all. I know I couldn't talk without being very winded when I'm doing an intense day.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't think its means your working out too hard. I generally see people talking while working out as social/or they are taking it easy. To each his own but if I can "chat" then I know personally i'm slacking. Of course we should keep an eye out for fatigue, dehydration etc.
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I read before that whilst running, you should still be able to talk reasonably well (String a sentence and so on), if you can't you're not pacing yourself quite right etc. I know that during and after a 3 mile run I can still talk fine.

Maybe your breathing pattern whilst walking could be improved?
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

People are different. I ride my bike with a group and sometimes I slow down and talk with people and sometimes I ride as hard as I can and don't talk.

It's up to you. I agree with those who say that you're really only working too
hard if you feel an injury coming on. But the odd day of an easy workout isn't bad to have either.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #7  

I'm really really uncomfortable with "shoulds" in relation to how other people work out.

Some folks on some days want to go more intense. Some folks on some days want to go less intense. ALL folks on ALL days should MYOB about other people's workouts that don't affect anyone other than the folks doing the workout.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #8  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I think you're just being efficient about your gym-time! I think its great that you're going at an intensity that's challenging but sustainable (as opposed to running and passing out after 2 minutes). Good for you!
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

In my opinion one is working out "too hard" when they are pushing their body beyond the point where it can recover in a reasonable amount of time. While it is ok to do this occasionally if you do it too often it will lead to bad things happening if an injury doesn't happen first.

Based on your description of what you're doing and the effects (or lack of) after I can safely say that no, you're not working out too hard.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #10  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't think so. As long as you're not getting injured and you're not overly fatigued afterwards (or maybe better put on a consistent basis because every now and then I have days where I push myself to my absolute max and have to take it easier then but it doesn't happen all the time) then I don't think so. Also, some people are just a lot more social when they work out and/or don't push themselves as hard. Or maybe they're just on the treadmill for warm-up/cool down so they aren't pushing themselves as much.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

I am an exercise physiologist and what I tell my clients is to do the talk test. can you talk? IF you can't then YES you are working out too hard. A pleasant conversation, no, but if you can say some things, then your fine.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #12  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemommster View Post
I am an exercise physiologist and what I tell my clients is to do the talk test. can you talk? IF you can't then YES you are working out too hard. A pleasant conversation, no, but if you can say some things, then your fine.
Oh, I can *speak*, yes. If someone passes me and says hello, I can say hello back, things like that. Short bursts of speech, I suppose. *L* I just wouldn't be able to hold an actual conversation, that's all.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #13  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
ALL folks on ALL days should MYOB about other people's workouts that don't affect anyone other than the folks doing the workout.
Ehm, well, my intention was not to stick my nose into anyone else's workout. I only asked the question in relation to my own workouts, and only mentioned those two women as a comparison. I'm sorry if you perceived my question as me being nosy.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #14  

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I remember learning about "the talk test" in exercise phys class. It's one of the few things I remember from over ten years ago!
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
This is what I tell clients also...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote