Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 08:59 AM   #16  

I have committed to participating in a triathalon July 27.... Scary thought considering I weigh 207 and had my 2nd baby October 1... Ive been exercising regularly since March 1 - at least 3-4 times a week in the gym running, biking, swimming and weight training. I don't want my enthusiasm to wane so I seek your help and encouragement...

I ran this week for 2.84 miles --- intervals of walking, but managed a whole mile straight before I had to stop. I am going to keep doing the interval thing until I can make it to 4 miles. That covers the 5k I will have to run and then some.

Hopefully the joints will hold out - I was really sore a few weeks ago, but I'm feeling pretty good now.

Anyone up for "race training"??? Support with the scale is also on the table, but I really want to make exercise a lifelong habbit! Isn't that really the key to maintaining weight loss??

Absmom
207/150

P.S. In past posts there was lots of talk about sports bras... Titleninesports.com has THE BEST bras. I am a 38ddd (no typos) and the bra I wear guarantees no vertical movement - and it works - plus I can still breath....
Old 04-26-2003, 07:38 PM   #17  

Absmom, congrats! The triathlon sounds terrific. 2.84 miles is a long way, no kidding. You'll be at 4 miles in no time.

I'm in a similar situation: three weeks ago I signed up to run a half-marathon in September, and began training for it in a group of about 40 people with a local running club. I am THE slowest person in the group by a mile (I was, literally, this morning!!!), but so far I am keeping with the scheduled distances and everyone has been very supportive. There are a few other people not too far from my weight, and many people much older (one lady is 70+)-- and they all kick butt when they run. Each of them is much faster than I am. It's neat.

I've found the interval method to work well. I started out walking and then added running segments. I just made 2.5 miles without stopping this morning. A record for me!

I am REALLY sore now that I am on the club schedule, but I am beginning to see a training effect at last and the running part is getting easier (though not any faster yet...). My goal is (hehe) to finish the half-marathon before they take the course apart! That means I have to run 13 to 14 minute miles consistently. I'm a long way from that right now but hope to get there eventually.

I'm also worried about injury (I have back problems) so I am taking it pretty slow deliberately. Better to go slow than not go... So I'm "Snail".

Speaking of sports bras, I just ordered 2 from Title Nine. Glad to hear you really like yours. Which one was it? I'm a 38D, and am sore now from all the bouncing, even in a department store sports bra.

I'd definitely be up for race training. Being in a group is really motivating. I'm in the same boat with losing weight too. I'd like to drop more weight, but right now keeping up my workouts is much more important. Maybe when we're all toned up there will be less to lose because we'll have muscle!

Snail
195/160/130 5'3"
Old 04-27-2003, 11:22 AM   #18  

Default Looking for motivation in all the wrong places

I used to run cross country in high school (and I was a size 4 then), but in South Louisiana cross country isn't the same as anywhere else. For starters, there are no hills. Period. Anytime I look at a prefabricated walking/running program, at least one day says to find a little hill or something to that effect. I'll have to do it my way I guess. Before my back injury I was working towards a 5k that's in two weeks. Now I'm further away from running than when I started in February. It seems to help me when I have a certain amount of time to work with a deadline at the end. But I don't have one right now. I am going to try to walk some and run some today. I started out (in high school) doing the intervals, so that what I'm going to try again. But I need motivation to go out again tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that. Plus, I don't count being sore as much motivation. But I think I can do it, and that's a lot of motivation right there. Maybe I'll enter the 5k and just walk it.....

Ashley
Old 04-28-2003, 02:10 PM   #19  

Hi Snail - Ahhh half marathon - marathon my other goal in life (though I'm saving it for when I'm 40 like Oprah did) Luckily I have 3 more years before I have to start training.... I applaud you for joining a group and for keeping with it. Like you I am the slowest runner --- even when I was at my fittest (in the Army 5.5 years) I could run forever - just not fast. It's perfectly fine - you are out there training and I guarantee you will improve. Plus - you have plenty of time!

I was looking over training for a triathalon and most are based on a 6 week schedule. I've got twelve so we'll hope it works. I ran (and walked )outside for the first time. It was painfully obvious that the treadmill isn't a good indication of one's running ability. My 2 sisters, who joined me and are doing this race with me, are much more with it . I suppose it was good to get my butt kicked. I was definately at a level 9+ and could barely speak, but I am not sore today so I guess the other things I am doing are working. We ran/walked for an hour and covered almost 5 miles with lots of hills.

My new mini goal is to complete this course in a month without walking; a little daunting at the moment.

The bra I got for running is the 5 bar bell - no vertical movement guaranteed. It is really NOT pretty, but it does work. I am not at all sore. It's a bit pricey though and I really need two... I can't believe people pay thousands of dollars to have boobs! To me its always been a bother!!

Anyway, keep me posted on progress. How often do you train with your group? How far do you run? Do you do sprints at all? That's suppose to improve your speed???

Happy Monday!
Absmom
Old 04-28-2003, 09:44 PM   #20  

Ow, ow ow, I am SORE today. I woke up stiff and hurting, almost wimped out entirely, but guilt got me to go anyway. Turned out to be a nice sunny workout if a super-slow one: I did 4 miles, walking 3 at an easy pace and jogging 1. Sometimes it takes me a whole mile to get moving properly. I felt much better after my first walking mile; a lot of the stiff soreness went away, and then I was up to some jogging after all. But starting was rough!

sunshine1: Size 4 and running cross-country, wow. Your body will remember what to do!

If you've recovered enough to comfortably walk a 5K, I'd say do it. Is yours friendly to walkers? Walking it could be really happy-making and motivating even if you can't run yet.

Injury has got to be the most frustrating thing on earth. So hard to start back where you've already been, and you didn't do anything to deserve it. *hugs* Talk to your doctor, most will bend over backwards to help you work out in whatever way is safe until you're healed. One thing I haven't tried yet but plan to is aqua-jogging; you run back and forth in a shallow lane of a swimming pool. I've heard elite runners train this way when they are injured; same motions as running but no impact I guess.

Hills are required for running or run-walking training? Doesn't make too much sense to me: running tracks are pretty flat! Some good starter training programs that don't appear to mention hills are at www.runnersworld.com - click on women's or beginners to see them. Lots of motivating stuff there.

absmom: The idea of a full marathon would scare me off the road at this point, But a great goal to have.

Congrats on your 5 miles! Yeah!

A six week training schedule sounds intense to me... 12 weeks will be time to see lots of results. How's the swimming and biking part going? What is your schedule like? It's great that you can train with your sisters. And training with people faster than you has a way of pulling you along and making you do more than you thought you could.

The half-marathon training schedule is six months long; we started on April 10th. Right now we do:

Sun - 60 minutes
Mon - rest day
Tue - 30 minutes
Wed - group run, about 4 miles
Thu - 30 minutes
Fri - rest day
Sat - the LONG group run. 5 miles last Sat (I jogged 4/walked 1) and 6 miles this coming Sat. Aaagh!

The long runs get longer, but the rest of the schedule stays pretty much the same. (Thank heaven, that makes it easier to keep track of.) I've been resting Sun and doing 60 minutes Mon since I've been so sore from the long runs, but I hope I can flip it back the way it's supposed to be at some point.

I got 2 4-barbell bras; will try the 5 if these don't work. Glad to hear the 5 doesn't squish the breath out of you. They ARE pricey, ouch! But even more ouch to run without. Boobs are definitely a pain, I agree.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:47 AM   #21  

Where do you get these bras? I've just started to jog and have a C-D cup and agree that boobs are a pain. I have a few sports bras but they seem to squish my boobs. A good bra is worth the money. I've spent hundreds of dollars recently on so-so bras.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:00 AM   #22  

Hi All!

The best sports bra I've found is on www.titleninesports.com. Its 54$, but worth every penney. Don't let your boobs get in the way - RUN!! (Its their only 5 barbell rated bra - no vertical movement!)

I went out with my sister last night. I am sore today. Ran at a local nature/dog trail which was fine, but OH those hills!! I know that running with someone of higher ability is best, but its almost like I dread the thought of going... So much more comfortable in the gym on the treadmill. I guess that will just get me no where fast!! (or slow in my case).

Anyway, I got a triathalon book by Sally Edwards and will seriously put together a training program today. Her philosophy is to TRAIN not EXERCISE, and that is what I have to adopt if I'm going to finish this race!!

Happy Trails! and keep checking in....

Absmom
Old 05-01-2003, 09:54 AM   #23  

Thanks for the link. These are expensive and they are U.S. $'s, but a good bra is worth it. I'd love to try these on first. I'm going to have to go to a better store besides Sears & The Bay.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:00 AM   #24  

i am a new walk/runner. i only run like .1 or .2 of a mile, and then i walk, but i do cover 2 miles. i have done it this week, and i plan to do it 5 days a week. i do it w/ my 18 yr old sis/in/law. so i am 'locked in', and i cant cheat and go back to bed....awesome, huh? everyone sh/ have an 18 yr old sis/in/law. except she is tall and lithe, and i am 37 and 5'4"/160lbs. anyway, i havent skipped yet. anyway, i am taking it slow, dont want shin splints, cuz that will derail the whole program...i love to read these posts, and i am going to check out the running sites, for form and stretching tips...cant believe i might be a real jogger/runner, now, at almost 40. i will start a journal thread next weekas soon as i figure out how to post a journal.....
Old 05-05-2003, 07:41 PM   #25  

Keep going Kim! Running - I think gets better with age... Look at our marathoners and olympic runners; most are in their mid to late 30s and older. Its peak time for them....

I am keeping up with the program I've created for myself, although my diet could be better. It's always one thing that throws my whole day off... too much pasta at dinner, or a stupid pretzel at the mall (who knew there were over 400 cals in a no fat pretzel...) Anyway, I am down to 204 (that's minus 3 lbs) and I ran today again... My knees are killing me, but I know that once the weight goes down, so wont the hurt.

I get to pick up my new road bike tomorrow. Psyched to start training outside of the gym. I might even try to get myself up even earlier than normal to get a ride in... We'll see.

By the way. Enell.com is also a great bra. I think by the time I finish my race I will have tried them all.

Happy Monday!
Absmom 204/150 ---- Triathalon on 7/26/03
Closed Thread