Am I exercising enough?

• Before I started this journey I did not exercise at all. I try to eat at least 1200 calories. I do pilates for 20mins in the morning and walk for 60mins in the evening. Its always been my absolute goal to be a runner but I sadly am not. I keep trying...maybe one day. I just wanted to check and see if this is enough exercise for weight loss or if anyone has any opinions. Thanks Sorry wanted to add that i have had 2 csections. They were emergencies so they cut my muscles vertical instead of horizontal. I have some tummy pooch because of that , is cardio enough to shrink that?
  • Sounds like you're doing great! A lot more than I would personally want to spend on exercising. It's recommended that people should exercise 30-45 minutes a day, at least 3 day a week so you're hitting the mark. 1200 calories, alone, will help you lose weight, so that in addition to exercising will definitely shed the pounds.

I recommend Leslie Sansone's workout DVDs, especially the 5 mile advanced walk. It's also approximately an hour and they are great for beginners.
  • Quote: Sounds like you're doing great! A lot more than I would personally want to spend on exercising. It's recommended that people should exercise 30-45 minutes a day, at least 3 day a week so you're hitting the mark. 1200 calories, alone, will help you lose weight, so that in addition to exercising will definitely shed the pounds.

I recommend Leslie Sansone's workout DVDs, especially the 5 mile advanced walk. It's also approximately an hour and they are great for beginners.
    Thank you , Ill look those DVDs up!
  • I'm eating around 1,300-1,500 a day. (Typically, I ate more today) I'm exercising 3-4 times a week and losing at that so if you should happen to stale don't give up! Change things up and eat a few more calories for a few days Just some advice! I think what your doing now is great!
  • I think you're doing enough. If you're satisfied and not hungry all the time on 1200, I say stick with it. If not, try cycling your cals?
  • I do feel really satisfied on my current calorie intake, im not feeling hungry or anything. Thanks everyone
  • Enough for what? From my understanding and experience, cardio (walking, running etc) just shrinks you while your shape remains approximately the same. Your legs will tone up and you may notice love handles shrinking, but your top half doesn't get much out of cardio.
  • I think what you're doing is great - esp. since so many ppl don't do anything at all and you are doing something twice a day. Just a suggestion though, have you thought about adding weights to your routine? Or instead of running, HITT training [combo of cardio & weights so you bring your HR up and down, burns more cals/fat].

If so, I HIGHLY recommend Jillian Michaels videos - she has an amazing weights video - No more Trouble Zones, and a lot of HITT videos [Her Ripped in 30 dvd has FOUR levels so there is something for everyone].

I'm not at all telling you you have to do any of this by any means, but if you are actually looking to start incorporating more into what you do, that's some suggestions - I personally walk about 3+ miles w/ my dogs & to work a day but I don't consider that my workouts...just personally I go for more physical exertion. So just something to consider.
  • Quote: Enough for what? From my understanding and experience, cardio (walking, running etc) just shrinks you while your shape remains approximately the same. Your legs will tone up and you may notice love handles shrinking, but your top half doesn't get much out of cardio.
    I really need to slim my hips and thighs down.
  • Quote: I think what you're doing is great - esp. since so many ppl don't do anything at all and you are doing something twice a day. Just a suggestion though, have you thought about adding weights to your routine? Or instead of running, HITT training [combo of cardio & weights so you bring your HR up and down, burns more cals/fat].

If so, I HIGHLY recommend Jillian Michaels videos - she has an amazing weights video - No more Trouble Zones, and a lot of HITT videos [Her Ripped in 30 dvd has FOUR levels so there is something for everyone].

I'm not at all telling you you have to do any of this by any means, but if you are actually looking to start incorporating more into what you do, that's some suggestions - I personally walk about 3+ miles w/ my dogs & to work a day but I don't consider that my workouts...just personally I go for more physical exertion. So just something to consider.
    I actually went and bought some hand weights to walk with last night. And I love Jillian Michaels so I def look for one of her dvds.
  • Hand weights are a really good idea - plus have you looked into ankle weights? They just add a little more resistance & help w/ toning so I like them for gettin' toned legs!
  • Quote: Hand weights are a really good idea - plus have you looked into ankle weights? They just add a little more resistance & help w/ toning so I like them for gettin' toned legs!
    Definitely have to get the ankle weights. Hips/Thighs are my problems.
  • Quote:
    Its always been my absolute goal to be a runner but I sadly am not. I keep trying...maybe one day.
    Have you ever heard of the Couch to 5K program? It's a program designed to get you running a 5K in 9 weeks of training. You do 3 workouts a week, gradually adding time & distance to them. Basically you start out with small intervals of walking and jogging (i.e. 60 seconds of walking, 90 minutes of jogging) and build up until you are ready to jog 5k straight through. There are also some really cool podcasts available that have audio cues for when to switch between walking and jogging.

Once I get myself back into a routine of exercising and lose some initial weight to get strain off joints and such, I will be starting this program. It may be a good start for you if you really want to get into running!

Also, have you ever thought of doing step aerobics? I've heard that can be really good for toning up hips & thighs.

Good luck with everything! It sounds like you're already on a pretty impressive track with the Pilates, walking, and 1200 cal/day diet. With that program alone I'm sure you'll start seeing some results.

Have a great Friday!