3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Exercising at work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/254581-exercising-work.html)

UnderTheMoon 03-10-2012 02:13 PM

Exercising at work?

I work from 8 pm to 8 am, long 12 hour shifts in the middle of the night. I am like an in-home nurse. So i often sit around and do nothing but dabble on my laptop, get some homework done, and EAT. The hours go by so slow, and there are cameras so i dont feel comfortable doing anything. However, there is a spare room with no camera's, and i dont think it would be an issue if I did some exercises in that room for a short period of time a couple times a shift?

I was thinking of doing 15 to 20 minute workouts every few hours? I think it would help the time go by quicker, and keep me from wanting to eat.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? What kind of exercise routines do you think would be the best for this?

Thanks!

yhahmd 03-11-2012 08:01 PM

Oh! I know how that is. I did something similar for a while, and there is TONNNNS of time at night just sitting around doing nothing--after all your work gets done anyway. Could you carry two small weights in your purse, or just grab two water bottles or two same-size shampoo bottles and do some curls? Some lunges, squats, maybe some sit ups if it's a clean carpeted area. Stretching definitely.

That's what I used to do anyway. It wasn't much but it was something.

Booty Cakes 03-11-2012 08:04 PM

I am a nanny and the child I watch is very low maintanence. When he feels the need to watch his favorite t.v. show, I go into the workout room and run off a hundred calories or so. It really helps because it can be very boring being alone with a three year old. It also doesn't help that their pantry only consists of extremely high calorie snacks!!!

EagleRiverDee 03-11-2012 08:07 PM

I work alone most of the time and when things get slow I do anything from yoga and stretching to calisthenics or resistance exercises like pushups. I try and get in at least 15 minutes a day while at work, and I do my normal workout at home.

josey 03-12-2012 09:34 AM

There are workouts where you don't need equipment. I posted some links here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...equipment.html

shcirerf 03-12-2012 11:04 PM

Take advantage of the no cam room and go whip out a few pushups, or crunches, or jump rope, air squats, planks, yoga positions, stretch, jog in place, what ever.

5 minutes an hour is 60 minutes in a 12 hour shift!:carrot:

MrsCake 03-13-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shcirerf (Post 4251415)
Take advantage of the no cam room and go whip out a few pushups, or crunches, or jump rope, air squats, planks, yoga positions, stretch, jog in place, what ever.

5 minutes an hour is 60 minutes in a 12 hour shift!:carrot:

And do not forget the squats - to form that derrier ;)

fitness4life 03-13-2012 12:37 PM

Would it be so bad to fess up to the boss that this is what you'd like to do? Together you can set up a plan of action in the event that in that 20 minutes something happens. That way, you can cover yourself liability-wise.

As an employer, I'd be happy as heck that my staff wants to best utilize their time. I mean, what's the difference if you are already exercising your mind doing classes on the computer or if you are exercising your body for that short amount of time?

I know you risk getting a no for an answer and sabotaging your plan, but think of the consequences if the unthinkable happens and you are held responsible for negligence.

UnderTheMoon 03-14-2012 03:05 PM

I have a baby monitor so i can listen for anything, at all times. Im never in the room where my patient sleeps anyway, so being in one room versus another is no biggie. The boss is a weird guy, he wont be opposed if i go in the room for short periods of time as long as i take the monitor in with me (which i always do). I just cant safely be in there for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions, and thank you for the links josey!