Want to start running on the treadmill....but....

• I *really* want to start running. Right now, running outside is *not* an option (spring might be right around the corner, but it definitely has not arrived in my neck of the woods, and I have no desire to go running in snow/ice), so my only real option is running on a treadmill at the gym.

But.

...I can't seem to do it! I do fine walking at speeds right up to 4.5 mph, but put me any higher than that and I can't do it. I mean, seriously, put the speed up to 4.6 and I literally have to hang onto the sides just to keep upright. I don't know, it's like I'm sliding backwards off the machine. All I can picture is me, flying backwards off the treadmill like a goon.

So I need some serious advice here. I really don't know how to run, as silly as that sounds, and I am open to any and all advice, because I *know* there's a runner in me somewhere, and I want her to come out!
  • i'm new at running VERY NEW. AND VERY HEAVY , I walk at a 2.5 AND "JOG" AT a 2.8.

but guess what ? I'm doing it! to me your 4 would be a sprint lol

ok that note just JOG even if it seems like a slow jog to you. Before long you will WANT to speed it up.

GOOD LUCK
  • Maybe that is a little to fast for your running style even though you can walk at that speed?
    Try something slower, like 3.0-3.5 and just go from walking into a nice easy jog. Small steps to keep your balance.
    When I first started out, I was running at about that speed and my strides were very small. I think I had to take small strides to keep my balance due to my weak core and carrying all the extra weight.
    Most people start out alternating between walking and jogging anyways, so picking a speed you can switch between the two will be very helpful!
    Good luck!
  • I am almost 60 years, and i at the most go upto 4.3m per hour. But, I have to run. I think i have to increase my strides.
    About you, do something else elliptical for some time and then go to treadmill again.
    I had sytica pain, so i started elliptical and after some time started tmill.
  • I suggest the C25k program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml (scroll down)
    You decide on the speed for walking and running.
    Start at a comfortable speed for running. Even when you think it is slow, as long as you are not walking it is running.
    What's the incline? If the incline is too much, take it out. I did. I had the treadmill deadflat. I couldn't deal with the incline at all.
    You can add that later, just like you can increase the speed later.
    Don't hold onto the treadmill at all. Never! If you do, your back will hurt and you decrease the calories burned.
    I was never able to run. On my first week of C25k I thought I die running a minute. You will get there. Take it slow, repeat weeks if you need to but keep working on it. It does work!
  • Are you trying to take too long of steps?

Consider faster foot turnover rate rather than big steps.

Are you pushing off the toes?

A.
  • Here is another link about running form:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...8210-0,00.html
  • If you're not a runner, it's not really a good idea to start off with running. josey's suggestion of doing C25k is a good one, I was going to say the same thing. Just take baby steps and you'll get it.
  • 4.5 is my FAST WALK....like super fast walk and i'm 6 feet tall...I can only imagine how fast your walking if your a foot shorter then me..When your starting off, it not about speed but rather building up your endurance. On a treadmill, somewhere around 3.5-4 would prob be a good speed for you to start out. C25k is a good program but if you don't think its for you, just get on the treadmill and start jogging, playing around with your speed, time, exc

I agree with the user who said don't use an incline. Those are brutal for starting out Good luck
  • 4.5 is my comfortable jogging speed. I can maintain that for 30 minutes, but it took work to get there. Now I'm working on 5 and just tonight I made it 10 minutes there.

Like a previous poster said, maybe slow it down a bit and learn to jog at that speed?

Good luck!
  • Quote: When your starting off, it not about speed but rather building up your endurance.
    Well, the thing is, I'm not just starting out (at least when it comes to walking.) I've been walking 4-5 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, for about a year. Obviously I worked up to that, but I don't drive, so walking is how I get places.

But yeah, I do realize that being on a treadmill is totally different from just walking outside. I think I'll slow down a bit and work my way back up, and try jogging just now and then. Who knows...I might just be one of those people who aren't cut out for running.