Exercising again, only...what to do? Cardio?Toning? Help!

• So whenever I start exercising, I go hardcore then I burn out. I still do it, but it's not as fun. I'm looking for something, some sort of schedule. Can you guys help me? I can exercise, I can get motivated to do it, I just don't really know what to do.

I have an exercise bike and I usually do that for 40 minutes. Since I just started, I've done it every day.

But people talk about toning, too.

This is where I get confused and indecisive.

There are 7 days in a week. Half of 7 is 3.5. So if I bike three days a week (in a row or not,whichever,) then save a fourth day for toning/weights...does that seem like a sound system? I'm just confused as to how to work these all together into something I can do, and something I have TIME to do.

I have a few Richard Simmons, Billy Blanks, and those old Abs of Steel videos, a recumbant bike, and very small hand weights, I think around 5lb. (To me that's heavy LOL I have no upper arm strength)
  • People recommend toning 3 days a week, carido 3-5 days a week. It doesn't matter when you do it as long as you do it. Sometimes, you will do toning and cardio on the same day. Others will just be one or the other.
  • Wow, that's a lot...How long do you have to do that stuff though? I don't know if I can do toning AND cardio on the same day.
  • I do HIIT (heavy weights alternated with cardio) 3-4 days a week for 90min-2hours. Sometimes I feel burned out so I spend 30 minutes lifting and read a book on the bike for a while.

Just go with how your body feels. The important thing for me, is to start! Once I get started I can usually get a good gauge on how I feel and how hard I can push it that day .

Don't be afraid of the weights!!!!
  • I do cardio and weights on the same day sometimes. I'll run on the treadmill for 30 minutes, then go use the weight machines for about 15. Or I'll run outside or bike and then do some planks and pushups inside. I just go with what I feel like doing, or join my friends and we all use the machines.

I'm never at the gym for more than an hour and I don't worry about reps or sets or rests or sticking to a specific program.