Low-impact exercise advice? HELP!

• Hey everyone!

So recently I've just got into running. Started running in the summer and did it every once in awhile, but the last week I started just running for 30 minutes straight, doing about a 5k. However, I don't think my body was used to it, and I did that for 3 days in a row, and unfortunately I have a shin splint in my left leg, and knee aches in my right.

I've decided to lay of running for a little until my shin splint has recovered, but I still want/need to exercise. Anyone have any recommendations on some low-impact exercises that I could do? I can't swim since I don't have access to a pool or anything. Would using the elliptical be okay, or should I stick to maybe walking and cycling?

Sorry about the long post, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • I'd say Yoga or Pilates. They even have some Yoga you can do sitting in a chair. Maybe see what's on Youtube so you don't have to buy any DVD's since eventually you'll go back to running.
  • When I was rehabbing from a knee injury my therapist used the elliptical and stationary bike. We also did knee strengthening exercises like sitting in a chair and extending the leg, squats using the wall on a stability ball, lateral walks down a hall, hamstring work with a band, etc. followed by ice on the knee. All of these things are good for a sensitive knee. I have no advice for the shin splint.
  • The elliptical is definitely low impact on your joints! I would suggest that. Also, for shin splints, in x-country we used to work them by stretching.

The best stretch I can think of is if you stand about a foot or two from a wall, put one leg behind you straight, and then put your heel down in the back leg. You kinda need to sink into the stretch (but not so much that you hurt yourself). You will be pushing against the wall as well as sinking into the back leg.

Hopefully that was a somewhat clear description of the stretch! I wish I could draw a picture, that would be much easier!

ALSO, good job on the running! I hope your shins feel better soon!
  • Quote: The best stretch I can think of is if you stand about a foot or two from a wall, put one leg behind you straight, and then put your heel down in the back leg. You kinda need to sink into the stretch (but not so much that you hurt yourself). You will be pushing against the wall as well as sinking into the back leg.
    Forgot to say, the front leg (the one still about a foot from the wall) will bend somewhat as you sink down into the stretch
  • You also might want to check into new shoes. When I start to get shin splints more often, it's usually because my running shoes are worn down.