Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 09:12 AM   #16  

I have a great salad suggestion! From time to time, I get a craving for Taco salad, and you can enjoy the taste without having the psyco taco/bowl shell and the nasty sauce. (Okay, it's actually really great, but I'm trying some aversion therapy here!)

I start with a bed of mixed lettuce and some baby spinach leaves (this is an iron booster) and I top it off with my favourite veggies - good ones include peppers, red onion, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Then I add some canned red kidney beans (drained) and some crumbled mexican flavoured tofu (you could use lean ground beef or chicken, etc...) Sometimes I very quickly stir fry the beans and the 'meat' before adding it on top. I then add a lot of grated cheese, usually reduced fat, and then add a low cal dressing. Finally,if I have them on hand I add a few crumbled tortilla chips to the mix, but you could also add homemade croutons.

Now, I know that this is not completely nonfat, etc... but I think it makes for a good, filling main course and it covers all the major food groups if you have a whole grain roll with it, and it gives you calcium, iron, and lots of other vitamins. Plus, it satisfies cravings for nachos and other mexican foods that aren't as healthy.

I think the sneaky things with salads is that some are ultra low fat/low cal, but have no nutritional value, and the rest are usually the opposite - filling but very high cal./fat. You have to be pretty inventive to get around this problem!

Does anyone else have salad ideas?
Old 02-24-2003, 09:21 AM   #17  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi... I am a newbie but will join in here... my goal is to work out at the gym at least 3 times a week. I started 2/16 and so far am "ahead" of schedule. When I can't work out I try to do stairs at my apartment complex (takes less time when I am rushed).

Sue
Old 02-24-2003, 12:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone,
It is Monday so I am checking in with week 1's totals. I was out of town so I didn't jog on my treadmill, but I did walk at least a half hour a day. Actually it was a non stop trip. So I am saying that I met my gaol of doing 2 1/4 miles for 5 days. It is now time for me to hit the treadmill.

Enjoy the week of exercise. Tahoemom

PS I'm so glad to see so many people exercising with me.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:30 PM   #19  

Hi

I have walked 12 miles this past week. I also have to start drinking my water, usually I drink 8 cups a day, but I have not been doing that much in the past while so I will start this week and get a handle on that.

That salad sounds good Poppyseed, another goal of mine this week.

Happy exercising and have a great week.

Suzanne
Old 02-24-2003, 06:19 PM   #20  

Hi Suzanne and everyone!

12 miles is really impressive! Do you listen to music as you go?

I was at the gym today and had a great workout. I did walking/running, the bike, the rower, the stepper, and some stretches and it was really wonderful. I find it's so hard to make myself actually get up and go, to work it in my schedule, but once I'm there it feels fantastic.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:52 PM   #21  

Hi Poppyseed, I use the Leslie Sansom walk away the pounds tapes, I use the 2 mile tape everyday.

I really like the workout and the best part is I do not have to go out into the cold and snow and walk. I also ride my outdoor bike as soon as I can get out and ride which won't be anytime soon we just got about 10 inches of snow or more yesterday on top of the other 10 inches we had on the ground. So it will be a long time before I will be riding the roads.

Have a great week!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne
Old 03-02-2003, 06:27 PM   #22  

How's it going??

I am down for 10 milies this week, keeping up with the exercising and trying to keep a handle on the food intake not bad but could be better, I have done better this week than previous weeks so that is ok..

It won't be long till I will be shedding my winter coat... (I hope) looking forward to that. So I will for sure be keeping up my miles each week.

Really looking forward to spring and getting outside for my exercise.

Hope you had a great week, ttyl.

Suzanne
Old 03-03-2003, 09:01 AM   #23  

I am looking for more exercise goals this week. I managed the swimming three times last week, and I made it on the track once, but I never made it to yoga class. I think I am going for swimming again this week, plus two sessions on the track, and maybe a work out on the weights, which I haven't done for a long time.

Now that a new month is here, what are everyone's resolutions?
Old 03-06-2003, 07:39 PM   #24  

Hi to everyone!

I started doing 3 miles today which is good, that should get me doing a few more miles a week.

So far this week I have done 8 miles which feels good. My goal is to do the 3 miles on a daily basis. Poppyseed you are really doing well, getting in a lot of exercise.

Have a good weekend..

Suzanne
Old 03-07-2003, 08:03 AM   #25  

Thanks Mad!

I didn't make it to the gym yesterday, but I will go today. Haven't gotten in any swimming, but I have gone to the gym twice (T and W), so it hasn't been a totally lost cause!
Old 03-09-2003, 08:33 PM   #26  

Another week has passed, it goes by fast.

I have been walking everyday and keeping up with my daily exercising which is great. Hey Poppyseed when I miss a day or so I figure it is ok and I get right back at it the next day or the next as long as you get back at it that is the main thing.

I have done 10 miles this week, I hope to get doing my 3 mile tape a few more times a week.

Have a great day.

Suzanne
Old 03-13-2003, 11:30 PM   #27  

Well that 4 weeks went by fast, I am almost to my goal. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to make it.

Hope everyone is doing good.

Suzanne
Closed Thread