Anyone using pilates for biggie bellies?

• I was wondering if anyone has used pilates if you have a large belly? most of my weight is in my mid section, and I wasn't sure if using a pilates video is a wise choice to start on to reduce the size of the belly?

Or should you start with aerobics? or both?

And of course I know to watch the food.

Hoping someone has an answer, or can suggest a video to start with.

Thanks
  • Hello
    Im now using winsor pilates for overall conditioning; and I am finding that it does work very well. Its not as easy as the imformmerical implies...but thats ok. I've found that week after week the acclerated tape is getting easier to do. Areobics would also be a great idea for burning calories, though if its been awhile you could try walking for 30mins or so a day. Easy to do and enjoyable too. I also sommersize, a great way to eat and lose weight
    Take good care of yourself, the most important thing you can do
  • I am using winsor pilates and I love them. The 20 min. workout is fairly easy for me and I just started using the hour tape also. I have found that it is great for building up your abdominal muscles. I haven't noticed a great difference in size although I am alot stronger than before I started. If you want any info, email me and I can send it to you.
  • Yes, it works your tummy muscles the best, if you do them right.
  • Thanks everyone,

Any info would be helpful, although, the tummy is where I carry most of my weight.

I suspose both aroebic and pilates would be the best benefit.

and of course, diet also.

Thanks everyone.
  • Do Pilates with...
    I know what you mean by the tummy, all the abs exercises in the world will not help if you do not get rid of the layer of fat there first, your abs will just be under it. YUOu need to do cardio to shed that then tone it with pilates, do WATP or jog with pilates.
  • ThankYou Summermarie,

That makes perfect sense.

What is WATP?

You can e-mail me it's faster.

[email protected]

Thanks
  • WATP is Leslie Samone's (sp?) "Walk Away The Pounds" From what I've heard, it's an exercise video that is very basic marching with some additional leg & arm movements. It is geared toward individuals who are new to exercise or are very overweight and cannot tolerate traditional aerobics. I am not sure of your fitness level, but unless you are a very beginner, you may get bored with this program or find it too easy.
  • Au contraire .. I have a treadmill (interval training), use taebo, do pilates, lift freeweights and some other weird stuff. I also enjoy WATP. It's great if you're in a hurry, or you just want something to get you moving and you need that little push. I don't use it every day, all the time - but I find that as part of things that I do a lot, it fits in rather nicely. I think it depends entirely on what you like to do.
  • I do Pilates on a regular basis (2-3x a week) and I, too, carry much of my weight in my belly. There are definitely some moves that will become easier as my belly gets smaller, but I am able to do them, even if slightly modified. I alternate Pilates (which I LOVE!) with other types of toning and strength training as well as good old aerobics.

My goal each week is to get exercise at least 5x.

Have fun!
  • Thanks everyone for all the support.

I sure need it. Every morning, I get up at 5:00, I think now I need to get up a little earlier and start with my leslie sansone videos, then maybe in the evening some bicycling.

I've been trying out using "slim fast", it gets a little difficult, some evenings I get too hungry, but I'm going to keep up the work.

Thanks ladies

(strong)