3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Going to the Gym - or NOT (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/246931-going-gym-not.html)

Amber1011 11-12-2011 01:32 PM

Going to the Gym - or NOT

So, about two months ago I joined a gym. However, I have not been there. Once. I know my fears are irrational, but they're preventing me from going. I make a lot of excuses. At first my excuses were legitimate - I was very sick for a month. Then I got better...

However, they take a picture of you the first time I'll go in. I don't want them to take a picture of me, but they take pictures so they know who everyone is - and I don't want to confront them either.

Also, I wear a crocheted hat every day. I love my hat. Its my "comfort item". I cut my hair off, and its growing out oddly, so I wear a hat until I'm satisfied with my hair again. The problem is that they don't allow people to wear anything except baseball caps, and I don't want to have to do my hair to go to the gym!!!

In addition, my friend works there... and I know she's been checking the system to see if I've been there, and I feel guilty - even though that's not what she was trying to do. The idea of having to explain everything to her makes me anxious, and the idea of her "watching me" if she's working bothers me.

I guess I need someone to just tell me I'm being ridiculously irrational. I think I'm just really nervous to start all this... and everything seems like a way bigger deal than it is... my anxiety gets the best of me. :(

bellastarr 11-12-2011 01:50 PM

Just do it. I hated getting my pic taken for my i.d. but qt my gym you just scan it when u go there, no one ever looks at the pic. Keep it in your wallet so no one has to see it. Also i don't understand why you won't wear a baseball hat? I wear one to the gym all the time, i have the mesh nike ones and they keep the sweat out of your eyes. The first time is the hardest, i stopped going once for a long while and when i went back i knew people were like wowwww she let herself go haven't seen her in a long time, but the longer you put it off the longer it will be before you will make progress. Just do it for yourself, just go. Even if you only stay 15 minutes go. That is your starting point. Go from there. Good luck!

Koshka 11-12-2011 02:14 PM

What are your other options? Is there another gym or Y that you can join? I joined the Y as it is very low pressure, has good facilities and has a wide variety of people who attend.

It really sounds like that this gym is not a good fit including because your friend works there if you are going to be selfconscious about going there. I might be inclined to simply go somewhere else.

I remember when I last joined a regular gym. I had all sorts of reason that I just avoided going and realize now it just wasn't a good fit for me. Once I found a good fit I went all the time.

jayohwhy 11-12-2011 02:40 PM

it sounds like you are making excuses.

it's okay, i do it too.

buy a baseball cap (one that you like), and get in there. YOU PAID FOR IT. come on!

you'll feel better after you get in the habit. Give yourself six weeks, three times a week. thats only 18 visits. if you don't get into it after 18 visits, you can stop going. :]

i feel a little self conscious at the beginning of my gym visits, but i remember a) everyone is there to work on their own physique and thus have things that they don't like about themselves. and b) it would be very weird, if not irrational for someone to make fun of me for going to the GYM and trying to be healthy. I understand if they made fun of me for going to sweet factory and eating all the candy, but going to the gym? not possible.

it's going to be awesome. you'll have more energy, and you can feel proud of yourself every time you finish a workout.

Amber1011 11-12-2011 05:42 PM

Ya, you guys are right. I think it helped to write out all my qualms, and then get a kick in the butt. lol because...

I just got back from the gym. I figured I might as well face it NOW - that way the anxiety can't keep building. I don't have a baseball cap, so I did have to do my hair (blech). BUT I'm going to get one soon. Of course, my friend was there, and did make a big deal that I was FINALLY there (she means well :/)- and I was a bit embarrassed. However, now that part is over, and as long as I stick with going I shouldn't have to be embarrassed again.

Thanks everyone.

HMM3 11-12-2011 06:15 PM

Good for you Amber .... glad you went ... the first few times are always the hardest ...

Sounds like a strange rule about the hats .... I would just wear your crocheted hat until someone tells you otherwise if it makes you feel comfortable .... it is not as though it is a motorbike helmet!!

free1 11-12-2011 06:26 PM

SOOOO GLAD YOU WENT.....That will be an accomplishment to celebrate at the end of the year. You faced a fear/anxiety and kicked its butt :)

And don't worry about what others think. I just tell myself that they will be privileged to watch my transformation into a butterfly.

Remember...sweat is fat crying!!!

cheerios 11-12-2011 06:26 PM

Yay you went to the gym!!! Speaking of the gym I need to get my butt over there :( since you went I guess I'll go :)

Jonsgurl0531 11-12-2011 06:56 PM

when I started my hair was pretty short.. too short to put up in any hair tie but long enough to drive me crazy and get in my face when doing cardio! So I ended up buying a bunch of hair clips and gel and just put it however to get it out of my face.

I go to the gym to work out...I get sweaty and nasty so I really don't care how my hair looks or if my clothes match.. Hey sometimes I don't even shave my legs and I wear capris! LOL

You need to focus LESS on what people will think of you at the gym and more on getting healthy.

I suggest going to the gym the same time.. the same days a week. You will eventually get so used to it that instead of thinking of going, you just get up and go.

Amber1011 11-12-2011 09:26 PM

Thanks everyone. Hubby and I are going to try to make a set schedule, but its hard because we're both in school (him grad, me undergrad), and we both work 2 jobs. Its a crazy, crazy life. lol

I did think of just walking in with my hat on, lol, but I didn't want to get my friend in trouble if she did let me get away with it.

jayohwhy 11-12-2011 10:12 PM

yay! i'm so happy that you conquered your worries!

Amber1011 11-13-2011 03:23 PM

Woot. I went again today! (If you want you can read my blog for more info). Motivation and blasting away anxiety feels great. :)