Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'8"

Default What to do about lack of stamina?

First off, for a little background, I had lost weight accidentally from August starting at 240 pounds up to September at 205 pounds. The only thing I can attribute it to is the constant hard swimming exercises I was doing in the pool. Pool exercise was so easy because the water made be buoyant and I could keep up the stamina. Winter is approaching and I can't do that any more. As far as eating I have been eating 3 meals a day and light snacks and try to avoid fried foods or fatty foods. I am a sucker for salty snacks so guilty of snacking a bit.

I know I need to exercise and every time I try i just feel worn out soon after I start. I try to exercise a little bit then I get worn out and stop. I need exercises I can do in my home that don't require any money as I am unemployed right now. I had decided that I should try to get in shape while I am searching for a new job. I found free programs online that seemed to not require too much hard work for newbies. One was a jumping jacks exercise. Do jumping jacks for 10 seconds, then move side to side for 10 seconds. That was a 12 minute video exercise. I got halfway through and then felt beat. What can I realistically do starting out? Any help would be awesome.
Xera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #2  

Give it time. Stamina is earned, not innate. Work toward it. You'll get there.

(BTW, I highly doubt that a 35 pound weight loss within a month is due to exercise alone. Good for you however you did it, but swimming does not burin in that league of calories. Nothing does.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Yes, give it time... Why not just go for a walk?

As for the 12 minute video that you only did half, don't be discouraged with that, it takes, again, time to get used to a new workout... If you enjoyed it, try it again and again... As a 26 year exercise veteran, I can say from experience that every new workout takes time to adjust to...

Hang in there and let us know how it works out... Hey and on your weightloss so far...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post

(BTW, I highly doubt that a 35 pound weight loss within a month is due to exercise alone. Good for you however you did it, but swimming does not burin in that league of calories. Nothing does.)
I had actually wondered about that myself. One time back in 2000 I went from 180 to 150 in 3 months. The only thing I attributed to that was the swimming then, too. But I do now remember that the meals I started eating were simple foods such as unprocessed meats and vegetables only. I seem to only lose weight when I am not expecting it. When I try hard i feel tired and discouraged that a few minutes of exercise make me worn out. In junior high & high school I was this skinny 130 pound girl that had no muscle tone. In gym class I had a hard time with stamina then too.

I have had my thyroid tested right after that 30 pound loss in 2000 to see if there was an issue, but they never found anything wrong. My weight came on very slowly from 1995 at a rate of about 15 pounds per year. And my stamina has always been my #1 problem with exercise. I need to try to build up the exercise. I am hoping with time any moving around becomes easier.
Xera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #5  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I think as everyone has said is not to expect too much from yourself instantly. If you've never been a runner, you can't wake up expecting to be able to suddenly jog a quick mile. If you're not an aerobics veteran, then that will be a challenge for you too. Doing circuits of jumping jacks and sidesteps continuously for 6 minutes is no easy feat. That sounds pretty intense and I wouldn't say I'm an exercise beginner. The fact that things are hard doesn't mean you can't do it and should give it up. It simply means you're human and your body is not yet used to that activity. If you continue and keep it up, you'll find that you steadily build stamina and eventually things become easier and easier. Nobody (unless the already very fit) wakes up in the morning and suddenly can run miles or do 100 push ups, you have to work your way up to that and start from somewhere.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote