Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #16  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
Oh, wow. I wasn't even disagreeing with the research. I skimmed through it but didn't want to waste my time reading something like that which I've read a hundred times before.

There is a fat burning zone. Whether you spend your time walking for two hours or running for one hour to meet the same fat calorie burn. (which I'm sure your article reflected on in some form or fashion).

And no, you can not jump on a treadmill and lose a bicep. But you can jump on a treadmill, with an empty stomach, run for an hour or two, and have some of your calorie burn come from protein/muscle.

I do high intensity cardio workouts, but I try to keep them less than an hour. If I get in my groove and go over, I don't worry so much about it. I have a great strength training routine and I try to intake a lot of protein. (Which I mentioned in my first comment, that she shouldn't get so tied up in the percentages at this point as long as she varies her routine and adds in strength training.)

What I disagree with is that the fat burning zone is a myth. And yes, I would tend to agree with trainers - regardless of their education - who have given myself and friends great results by having us focus more on our fat burning zones.

Good article:

"When your heart rate is sitting between 50 and 80 percent of its maximum, the body continues burning half carbohydrates and half fat. This 50-50 zone is called the "fat burn" zone. When you increase the intensity and your heart rate rises to between 80 and 90 percent of its maximum, your body switches into carb burn mode. In this "cardio zone," your body starts burning 85 percent carbohydrates and just 15 percent fat. If your body starts to run low on carbohydrates during these extended cardio sessions, it will begin using protein in combination with fat. Some of these protein calories come from amino acids, and some come from muscle."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/20...#ixzz1YnwBG2hQ
I feel like that's pretty much what I said as well. I'm not saying I don't agree with some trainers but I've met a lot who are misinformed because there are less requirements for certification. Any increase in heart rate is going to cause fat loss as long as there is a calorie deficit. As far as fat burning, the article you linked isn't wrong (and I realize that you said that there is no reason to really concern ones self with something this in depth because any exercise is going to benefit you). From BOTH of the research: You will burn more fat calories if you workout slowly. But if you work out more intensely you will utilize more oxygen during the workout and ultimately burn more calories. At this point it's an argument against efficiency. I don't want her or other women to think that she has to worry about extreme muscle loss working out because the point at which is does happen is going to be extremely hard to achieve unless you are purposely trying.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

I'm glad that we can agree to somewhat agree.
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/204/125

Height: 5'3''

Thank you to everyone for this info. I appreciate all replies b/c sometimes I have to hear/read something a few different ways before I really "get it".

This all started because I was reading the sticky on top 10 myths and I wasn't familiar with some of the things people responded with. I also wanted to know just for knowledge sake. I like to be able to wrap my head around these things and I guess I could have looked up a bunch of things online but you never know what's right and I trust 3FC more, lol!
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

There is a really useful Sticky at the top of this exercise forum on the subject entitled No Fat Chicks. It links to this really helpful article: http://www.stumptuous.com/no-fat-chicks

Bottom line:
- You can lose muscle even if you carry lots of fat.
- The idea of a 'fat burning zone' is a myth.

good luck
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote