3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Runners - anyone carry a bag while running? what kind? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/242599-runners-anyone-carry-bag-while-running-what-kind.html)

Megan1982 09-07-2011 04:01 PM

Runners - anyone carry a bag while running? what kind?

I got a very energetic dog in January, and all summer I've been telling myself that when it gets cooler, I'll run with her rather than walking. Well, the cool weather is here! The problem is it's still sort of warm, and since I live in Florida I'm particularly worried about the dog overheating. I always carry a small water bottle and collapsible bowl for Emma, and my cell phone in case Emma gets overheated and I need to call for a ride. I currently carry a bag that I strap across by chest and the bag sits over my side/rear end, but I've tried running with it and it bounces... so annoying. I was considering an Ameribag - a bit expensive, but if it works would be worth it. However I don't want to buy it if it's not going to work! Does anyone use a bag that you like to run with, and if so, could you make a recommendation?

My mom said "why don't you just run with a fanny pack?!" I'm not a very stylish person, but a large part of my balks at the idea for fashion reasons. I mean, maybe it's because once I hit 1992 I realized my New Kids on the Block fanny pack, tye-dye shirts, and hammer pants were sooo last decade... all kidding aside, that's a hard idea for me to swallow, so I'm looking for alternatives. But if you run with a fanny pack to carry water and it works great, tell me and maybe it will help me get over my aversion!

Michi702 09-07-2011 05:02 PM

They make those kind of bags as regular back packs, too. Since the back to school season is almost over, try looking at Targets or WalMarts to see if any are on clearance. Try putting it on and move a bit - jump a little, bounce, walk around the store a bit with it on. I know it sounds silly, but if you want to make sure it will really work for you then you gotta try it a bit first :)

mkroyer 09-08-2011 11:40 AM

get a camelback designed for running.. they are smaller, has straps that click and tighten aropund the chest as well as waiste, and they always come with pockets and succh to carry rhings.

persoanlly, i cant stand running with a back pack or belt... but when i go on long trail runs, its a neccessity (for water)...... it doesnt bounce TOO much (but they all do, alittle, when you run)

runningfromfat 09-08-2011 01:12 PM

Eh, I used a fanny pack and I used to see a lot of others out with them too. I kind of figured the normal rules of fashion don't apply when you're sweating like crazy. ;)

fitmom 09-08-2011 01:17 PM

Wow, now I feel like a big, old nerd for running with my Disney World fanny pack, lol. And for the record, I only use it to run and when we go to Disney with the kids. Mine's not tie-dyed but black. Anyway, I run alone so I promised my DH I'd be safe so I have my wallet with license in it, house key and fully-charged cell phone in it. I see lots of people running in my neighborhood and they all wear one.

Megan1982 09-10-2011 09:07 AM

Laughing here... didn't meant to make anyone feel like a nerd fitmom! I was thinking about it some more and I've never seen a runner wearing a fanny pack and thought "oh, how 80's is that!" Instead I don't think about the bag at all and think something like "good for them!" (for being out there and running).

Michi, I think you're right and I just need to go to a store and try something on. Unfortunately I live far from civilization, but I will just have to make it a point to stop at a few places next time I go to the city. Of course there's online shopping but I can't try it on... and I will consider the fanny packs too! Whatever jiggles the least and feels the least awkward.

mkroyer, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know camelbacks had pockets. I'll have to keep my eye out for those too!

Thanks for the input all!

Karray 09-10-2011 08:50 PM

They make those backpacks for dogs, so they can carry supplies.

milmin2043 09-13-2011 12:22 AM

I have a camelbak hand bottle that I thought would drive me nuts, but it's great. It has a little pocket for keys and cell phone on the front of it with a zipper.

I also use the larger camelbak on long runs over 7-8 miles. You need to be properly hydrated and for me anyway, I don't care what other people think. I personally can't stand those belts with the bottles on them, they bounce around too much. But, some of my friends swear by them.

Like you said, you may need to go to a running store and try on different things they have there. See what works. Good luck!

twinmommaplusone 09-13-2011 01:56 PM

there are hydration belts with great pockets. spibelt works great too for keys/cell phone. Google it!

stellarosa27 09-13-2011 03:43 PM

I have a spibelt and I love it. I have lower back issues, so I can't really use fanny packs, but the spibelt carries what I need it to carry and I barely notice that it's there.

jayohwhy 09-15-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stellarosa27 (Post 4031196)
I have a spibelt and I love it. I have lower back issues, so I can't really use fanny packs, but the spibelt carries what I need it to carry and I barely notice that it's there.

hi stella! long time no see! (since i've been gone).

i have a spibelt too! it just fits my cell phone which is all i need to carry-- my running shorts have a small butt pocket for my keys and my ipod clips to me...

ange82much 09-16-2011 03:02 AM

i have a Deuter hydration back pack (same as a camel-back really, but this one is for females particularly which suits me as i'm short!).

Techically i think it's designed for cycling but it's got all the chest straps and waist straps and it's surprisingly comfortable to run with.

The only disadvantage of a back pack type thing over a fuel belt type thing is that i find it a bit hotter and sweatier on my back in mid summer. Oh and i have to wear sleeves rather than a vest-top shape as the straps can rub otherwise.

Haven't a clue what a fanny pack is - that's definitely a US word!!

ennay 09-16-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karray (Post 4027823)
They make those backpacks for dogs, so they can carry supplies.

That's what i was going to post...make the dog carry his own stuff!

I have a camelbak waist pack. I do not like anything over the shoulder.

stellarosa27 09-16-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayohwhy (Post 4034470)
hi stella! long time no see! (since i've been gone).

Hi Jay! I took a hiatus as well :)