Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/231/125

Height: 5' 3"

Question Real hungry 1 hour after workout

I can't for the life of me figure out what to eat and when. Usually I don't eat before I work out, and since I'm just starting back up this time, I'm coming here for some ideas.

Every time I have a real good workout, I'm always hungry about an hour or so post workout ... I don't want to sabotage all the effort I just put in and eat something unhealthy, but what can I eat that will fill me up? Or more so, what should I eat that would be more beneficial to my exercise routine?

I know I've read about protein after exercise, but how long after? And what is the rule of them for calories in vs calories out?? I never try to eat back the calories I've burned.

Thanks for your help. I just want to get this right since I'm starting back up again!
SDV219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

I usually eat immediately after I work out, as part of my normal food plan. If I didn't work out, I would still eat those calories. I usually plan one of my meals or snacks then so I eat within a half hour of working out, and it's a good balance of carb and protein. In general I like to keep my food and my exercise as separate issues, i.e. I'm not eating back the calories I just burned (still aim for the same amount of cals, exercise or not), I just try to make sure I eat right after I exercise. You're very likely to get hungry after exercise, it makes sense, and the body needs nourishment then.
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #3  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

I also make my post-workout snack just a part of my usual daily calorie budget, and I also eat right after I exercise, whether I'm hungry or not. I find that if I delay eating for an hour or so, I get ravenous and then have trouble filling myself up. But if I eat right after, it takes much less food to satisfy me, and I don't have to deal with bottomless hunger later.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

You really should eat after a workout to replenish your muscles of the much needed nutrients you just used up... So, eat something healthy, a portion of carbs and protein with lots of water after your workout... The best window of opportunity is within an hour of a workout... So have yourself a good clean mini meal or snack
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #5  

Eating a Kellogg's FiberPlus bar satisfies my hunger and sweet craving. You outta give it a try.
jimmyk1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 246/231/125

Height: 5' 3"

Thanks all for the great ideas and tips. I have to start planning out my meals better. This is the hardest part for me. But once I get back into the swing of things, it'll get easier.
SDV219 is offline   Reply With Quote