Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/145/125

Height: 5'3"

Talking I Am A Runner!!!!!! (nsv)

Since 2007 I have wanted desperately to be a runner. My weight has been up and down between 118 lbs and 163 lbs in these 4 years, but even at my fittest I was only ever able to run/walk. I would run until I thought I was going to die, walk to recover, then run again. I could never even do a mile straight without stopping to walk. This January I started C25K and this March I ran a 5K for the first time in my life. Unfortunately I had a setback and stopped running after the 5k and put 16 lbs back on, but I got back on track in May. Starting back was rough. I had horrible shin splints and I had to just walk in the beginning, and it took me a couple of weeks to even be able to jog a mile again! This week I ran 5 miles for the first time in my life I NEVER thought I would be a runner - I didn't think I was "built" for it. Even though I did the 5K, until I hit the 5 mile mark I didn't really feel like a runner (silly, I know).

My bf has been doing 10K's and half marathons for years and is training for his first marathon in December. He has been encouraging me to do the half marathon but I never in a million years thought I would be able to do something like that. Now...I think it is time to stop telling myself "you can't possibly run 13.1 miles" and just go for it!! In 6 weeks I have gone from barely being able to jog a mile to running 5 miles straight. I have 5 months to train for the half marathon, and I am bound and determined to DO THIS!!
hdallas78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

YEAH! Great job! I just hit my first five mile mark as well, and it felt great so I am sure you are on cloud 9!! You are indeed a runner, and I would go as far as to say you were a runner when you took your first step runner because you intended to keep going! Great job! So proud of you!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #3  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Wow...such an inspiration! I too always wanted to run. I started the C25K late last year, ran a 5K in January....and then quit. Just like that! Didn't do any more 5K runs at all!

I have been trying to summon up the courage to run but for some reasons I have not been doing it. The last time I did any run was in mid-April and that was just for 20 mins. I have been focusing on weights lately but deep down I still want to run..

I think you should aim for the half marathon though, seems you have the knack for it!
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #4  

Thanks for the support, guys! I ran 10K this morning!! Yep, 6.2 miles :-) I am so excited to keep going!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #5  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Get it, girl! Absolutely go for the half marathon! I clearly remember a time when I could barely run for 2 minutes, let alone a whole mile, let alone 13 of them, but I just did my first half marathon in May! I found a training schedule on Runner's World's website and it was SO helpful!

Have fun with it- embrace that runner's high !
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 AM   #6  
Woooo Hooooo :)

S/C/G: 266.8/235/175

Height: 5'6

Woooo Hooooo Congratulations! I am SO excited for you! I can only imagine how excited you are. I just started jogging/running on the Elliptical at the gym. I have knee problems and its the best I can attempt. But I worked up to 2 miles! Thanks for posting this inspiration! I will keep working at it!
PBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone! I had to take several days off from running because my knee started acting up but I'm up and going again! I think I may have progressed a little too quickly. In the course of a week and a half I went from 3.5 miles to 6.2. Even though I got through it I probably shouldn't have. I think the rule of thumb is not to increase more than 10-20% per week. I started back at 3.8 miles and my knee was fine. I'm going to take a little more time to increase gradually before I attempt another 10k, but at least I know I can do it!!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #8  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

That is AWESOME! I've been running in the mornings to start my day, and I just managed to do a full 1.5K without stopping this morning! I can't wait until the day I can do a 5K.. definitely one of my fitness goals

This just proves that, once you get past the mental block, you can surprise yourself at what you can really do! Congrats!
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

WTG! 6.2 miles is halfway to the half-marathon already, and if you did it once you can build up to it again! Can't wait until I'm where you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
You are my hero! I am one of those can't-runners. Seriously. I've started running programs like c25k at least 3 times, and always quit because I can't progress nearly as quickly. Go you!
Same here! I just restarted c25k for the third time, and this time I AM going to stick with it. I know I can - just a matter of willpower.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote