3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Yoga! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/237479-yoga.html)

MindiV 07-07-2011 10:22 AM

Yoga!

So I've been interested in trying yoga, and now that I'm trying to switch up my same-old routine and taking some downtime a couple of extra days a week, I thought it was as good a time as any.

There aren't any classes where I live, or anywhere close to where I live. So videos and the Internet are all I have.

I like Jillian Michaels, so my next Netflix video is gonna be her Yoga Meltdown. Has anyone done this? What did you think (while there's still time to change my mind...). Rodney Yee has also been recommended to me.

This morning, as a test, I found a free 20 minute beginner's yoga video on ExerciseTV online. My heart rate didn't get up at all, and I burned next to nothing. But I liked it!

Yoga video recommendations, anyone?

Shannon in ATL 07-07-2011 10:26 AM

I have used the Exercise TV videos - I like the ones with Tom Morley, he's funky. Rodney Yee is another good one, like you said. I use a lot of yogajournal.com podcasts, I tend to get the free ones - I like the hip opener and power flows.

My burn varies - I can get up to 150 cals or so on an intense workout, normally it hangs around 125 or so, lower for the more mellow ones.

There was an hour long one on On Demand that was fantastic - kicked my butt every time - I'll see if I can find it again and send you the link.

MindiV 07-07-2011 10:35 AM

Thanks, Shannon! I thought yoga might be a perfect activity to keep me at least moving and doing something on my "off" days during the week.

Michinmn 07-07-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindiV (Post 3924626)
So I've been interested in trying yoga, and now that I'm trying to switch up my same-old routine and taking some downtime a couple of extra days a week, I thought it was as good a time as any.

There aren't any classes where I live, or anywhere close to where I live. So videos and the Internet are all I have.

I like Jillian Michaels, so my next Netflix video is gonna be her Yoga Meltdown. Has anyone done this? What did you think (while there's still time to change my mind...). Rodney Yee has also been recommended to me.

This morning, as a test, I found a free 20 minute beginner's yoga video on ExerciseTV online. My heart rate didn't get up at all, and I burned next to nothing. But I liked it!

Yoga video recommendations, anyone?

First of all......WAY TO GO ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!! Gosh!! You are an inspiration to me!! :D
I really LOVE, love Denise Austin and she has some really great yoga videos. I love here because she is all about living and eating well, but in a easy to follow manner. Her videos are awesome with great instructions and awesome results. :carrot:

MindiV 07-07-2011 11:54 AM

Thanks, Michinmn! I actually got up and remembered that Denise used to do a workout show early in the mornings and looked for it, but couldn't find it. I'll keep her on my Netflix rotation, too!

Michinmn 07-07-2011 12:01 PM

You're welcome MindiV!
Yea, I think her show is off air now, but on repeats on Fitness TV? Her dvd's are awesome. I have some of her Yoga ones and her cardio, and toning ones.

:)

Michinmn 07-07-2011 12:03 PM

Do you have any pics you could share? Before and after maybe? I love seeing the photos, it makes me more motivated!

JenMusic 07-07-2011 12:34 PM

My only experience with yoga has been with the Jillian Michaels' "Yoga Meltdown." I enjoyed it, but many people have told me that it's not really yoga - more like a body weight training DVD using yoga poses. Just FYI!

effie12 07-07-2011 12:36 PM

I really like the yoga DVDs by Shiva Rea. I have Yoga Shakti and have tried a few others, it is not heart rate blasting (at least the workouts I do; the dancing warrior asanas are more typically cardio, though), but it does help me to keep mindful and stretching is always a plus for me!

Here's a link to her sun salutation on youtube, in case you wanted to test her teaching methods out.

MindiV 07-07-2011 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the heads up, Jen....I may throw Rodney Yee or Denise in there first, to get a feel for real yoga then mix it up with Jillian....

Michinmn...here's a pic....before and after....

Michinmn 07-07-2011 01:00 PM

YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! Thanks for posting pics MindiV!

Ilene 07-08-2011 07:06 AM

I love Rodney Yee I have his Yoga Burn video, it really kicked my butt, I like doing it in the winter time... He ain't bad eye candy either :love:

Michinmn 07-08-2011 11:37 AM

Your stomach is flat!

fitmom 07-08-2011 11:42 AM

I personally like the Denise Austin yoga videos. I find her voice to be so melodic and relaxing, putting me in the perfect "zone" for yoga. My favorite poses are: downward facing dog, triangle pose, chair pose and the tree pose. My six year-old son does the poses with me sometimes, it's so funny. I found my flexibility to have really increased since implementing yoga into my exercise routine (and I'm not in my twenties, lol). I agree with Bob Harper from 'The Biggest Loser' that yoga is the fountain of youth. Hope this helps. :)

MindiV 07-08-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michinmn (Post 3926606)
Your stomach is flat!

Not flat...just a flattering shirt!! I've got some loose skin issues around my middle, on my backside and my inner thighs....Oh well, though. Nothing I can't live with!