3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Any Wannabe Runners Out There? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/237459-any-wannabe-runners-out-there.html)

Curvaliscious 07-06-2011 11:37 PM

Any Wannabe Runners Out There?

OK, so I have a lot to lose 80-100 and I'm down 23 so far. Yes, tons to go I know. Anyway, it is my dream to be a runner. Years ago my husband and I were in New Orleans (on vacation) in the Garden District. It was early morning, kinda hazy and runners were running down the middle of the street next to the trolley tracks. Ever since then I've wanted to run. Of course, I have bad knees and would need a miracle bra (seriously), but still...I'd love to try.

Someone mentioned the Couch Potato to 5k program. Anyone who is seriously chunky tried it? What else do you recommend for starting out running?

Thanks!!

aussienerd 07-06-2011 11:59 PM

well im not much of a runner im a sprinter. But if your starting waht i would say is walking first and once that easy go to jogging. then running. Its mmostly just steps. Also if you have bad knees your going to need to do a stretch and a warm up to help our knee. and after you run dont just stop and collasp on the couch that can really hurt your knee you wanna do after stretches to. To relx your muscles then you can collasp on the couch. :)

milmin2043 07-07-2011 01:04 AM

Yep. I started running when I still had a lot of my weight to lose. It's good advice to start out slowly. I also used the C25k program. It worked really well for me.

Get yourself a pair of really good running shoes. Have your gait analyzed at a running store in your area. One that specializes in running. That made all the difference for me. The main thing is to just do it. You won't know until you try. Don't kill yourself. Start out slowly so that you will enjoy it. You will quickly work up to running longer/faster if you want to.

I love running. Absolutely love it. I am training to run a marathon, my first, in December. It will be one of the biggest accomplishments in my life. Good luck to you. You can do it!!

Jen516 07-07-2011 02:44 AM

I lost a bunch of weight without exercise, but knew I'd end up incorporating it because my goal is healthy, not a number on a scale... SO, I started exercising in Feb(@225lb). Here's how it worked for me:
I tried C25K back in November (@240lb) and it was a bit agressive for me at that point. Not necessarily because of the weight, but because of my fitness level and my interest in exercise. However, the premise is good. To walk and alternate with stretches of jogging. It's the approach I took when I got back on the treadmill in Feb, but I did my own thing and listened to my own body. I walked a LOT and jogged just a little, back and forth, for 2-3 miles. I could barely jog for a full minute at a time before I dropped back to walking. I gradually increased the jogging stretches as I was able to do so and increased my overall distance. At this point (June), I typically jog/walk for about 4 miles. I still alternate, but now jog more than walking. The longest I've jogged without walking breaks is 2.5 miles! That's still unreal to me. I've also seen a dramatic decrease in my pace. Used to be I could walk a mile in like 17 minutes, but now I'm down to 11. I've been amazed at the dramatic difference that occured in just a few months and I wasn't even THAT dedicated. I try for 3 times a week, but occasionally miss. I recommend getting out there and walk -- add in the jogging as you can, even if it's just for a few seconds at a time. And stretch after so your muscles don't hurt the next day!! It makes a HUGE difference for me.

PacSunMama 07-07-2011 02:51 AM

Can you walk 3 miles comfortably? If not, get to the point where you can do that comfortably 4-5 times per week. Then I highly suggest the C25K program. I'm doing it now for the second time. I did it about 7 years ago and literally went from couch potato to my first 5k, to finishing a full marathon 8 months later. I love it though. I'll be repeating week 1 again next week though.

I suggest if you have a smart phone, get the app. It's so helpful to not have to look at a clock during your whole run.

RowanM 07-07-2011 07:16 AM

I'm not so much a wannabe runner as a have to be runner. I pre-registered myself for a Tough Mudder event in April and have to be ready for a 12 mile obstacle course designed by British Special Forces.

I started the C25k program the day before yesterday and realized how much of a challenge I'm going to have.

There's a whole thread of support for C25k and people are at all different weights and stages in the program. I'm definitely a very newbie and seriously overweight. I, too, need the uber miracle sports bra (42E) and have had knee surgery. Jump in and join us, we're like the Borg, resistance is futile.

Somni 07-07-2011 03:27 PM

I haven't tried c25k recently but the last time I tried a couple of years ago I weighed maybe 15 lbs more than I do now and kind of struggled with it. At the moment I follow Sparkpeople's 5k your way walk/jog plan just to have some structure. It's 5 weeks but you aren't running a 5k by the end, it's walk 2 min, jog 3 min by the end. I got interrupted by oral surgery and an upper respiratory infection so I've been repeating week 2 a bit (3 min walk, 1.5 min jog). But fingers crossed, I'll be on week 3 (3 min walk, 2 min jog) next week. :)

Good running shoes are important! I got fitted in a running store and I feel like I could just go on forever in them.

Mileage may vary but I've found glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement helped a lot with knee issues I've had - personally I use Move Free Advanced which has all 3 in one but there are lots of choices out there.

ladolcevita26 07-07-2011 04:37 PM

Wannabe runner here on my 1st week of my running program. I did a search online and found tons of resources/sample workouts. Since I'm just beginning I'm working on building my endurance. Today I ran 3 minutes, walked 1. Did that 7 times and did a 2 minute jog at the end. Trying to work my way up for a full 30 min run....that's a long time coming however.

fitmom 07-07-2011 04:52 PM

I've been running for one month now. The only thing I can say is just get a really good pair of running shoes and just do it! I wish I had taken up running when I was younger. I sleep better and my mood is improved on the days I run. I'm up to 2.5 miles for 30 minutes, 4 times a week. I saw differences in my body almost immediately. I'm going on vacation soon and plan to run there as well. Good luck.

saintxio 07-07-2011 04:57 PM

As a top heavy woman (44E) that's also broke, I would usually put on a regular front closure bra and then put on a cheap trainer cloth (Like the kind you get when you were 12) bra of it. This has worked wonders even during excessive jumping jacks, plus you can just remove the cheap trainer bra and keep the front closure bra on relatively sweat free for the rest of the day :D

mhill0823 07-07-2011 11:18 PM

I'm a big girl! and I do c25k! I love it!

fatferretfanatic 07-07-2011 11:33 PM

I am also a big girl, and I started running 35 pounds ago. I love it. It gives me time with myself, and since March 7th, I have worked up to running seven miles. Start slow, get good shoes-and just go for it. I am working up to a marathon in January!

PacSunMama 07-08-2011 04:11 AM

I have this bra in black, I LOVE it. I am nursing right now and am wearing at least a 40F (40DDD) and possibly more sometimes, and I do NOT bounce at all in this bra. I hardly move at all! I love love love it, and can't recommend it highly enough. I hope to put another one in our budget sometime soon, because it's my favorite sports bra and I'm constantly washing and washing because I don't want to wear anything else when I run or exercise.

PacSunMama 07-08-2011 04:12 AM

Oh and they don't have my size bra, but I have a 36DD bra and it works great. It fits just fine, I tried it on in the running store before I bought it. Worth every single penny, and I'm on a tight budget where pennies add up!

RNmomof5 07-08-2011 10:49 AM

I never ran until about 4-5 months ago. I completed couch to 5k and am now doing bridge to 10k. I am running about 5 miles 3-4 times a week. Love it!