Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/242/168

Height: 5ft 7

Default I feel like my ankles are going to snap !!

You know...they make these exercise dvds and dance games in order to help people stay fit and lose weight but what they dont give you is instructions as to how to stop your ankles from breaking!! I Dont know if anyone else has had the same experiences as me but when I am jumping up and down and lunging I feel like the weight of my body on my feet and ankles is far too much for them to take.
My mum has recently lost 6 stones and uses the same dvd's as I do to exercise daily, and sometimes she will come to my house and do them with me. What you have to bear in mind here is she is 5ft 1 and 8.5 stone, I am 5ft 8 and 16 stones, yet she expects me to be able to put in as much effort as she does
Initially I start of with great intentions and put 100 % in but then I start feeling the pain in my ankles and it really does feel like they are going to snap!! Then I will here my mother shout " cmon tasha speed it up a bit"!!!....ha ha ha ha ha!! Errrr hello I am twice your weight and this is not as easy for me as it is for you!! That would be like me fastening my 14 year old daughter to her back and telling her to do 20 star jumps
In all seriousness...when I get that feeling do I carry on through the burn or do I stop and swap for less active exercise until I feel a little fitter.
niknaknat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #2  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

As someone who really did get an injury (sprained foot) from exercise recently and am sitting here wondering what the **** I'm gonna do to burn those 475 calories a day while I'm not allowed to do my walking, my advice is to explain to your mom that you ARE bigger, and you can't bounce as hard.

DON'T GET AN INJURY!
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #3  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't risk injury, tore up my knee years ago and the lack of ability to do much contributed to weight gain. If I were you I would just be walking for a while to increase strength.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #4  

Thankyou both for your replies...I do think it best that i stop all the jumping around on it. Just this afternoon my right ankle gave way beneath me, just walking upstairs!! Thankfully I am not in pain with it so I can still walk and do floor exercises. I thought about maybe getting an exercise bike so that I can work my bottom half without the weight bearing on my feet. Time to have a word with the hubby I think
Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

You don't have to do a lot of jumping in order to benefit from work out videos.

It's okay to modify the exercise! It's okay to walk in place while they jump or to tap your feet. Or do your own little movement that is SAFE.

Better to do something less strenuous, still be moving, and NOT get an injury.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I second the idea of an exercise bike. You might also want to consider yoga, pilates, and shadow boxing. Shadow boxing will get your heartrate up and work your upper body without putting stress on your legs or ankles. Yoga and pilates will condition your body and build core strength, which is so important for fitness and health overall, but are low-impact exercises and won't hurt your joints the way jumping around does.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #7  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

Height: 5'6

DDR is my exercise of choice atm. If im not feeling very well (like my legs are about to cave in) then i do it on the lower options. but if i feel energetic THEN i do it on the higher lvls.
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #8  

Kimikat, I use the dance games as well to exercise...it feels less like exercise and more like fun which is why I tend to do them everyday! I am getting an exercise bike and I am going to brave getting into a swimming costume next week as well ah well suppose I gotta show it sometime
Thanks again for all your replies...the people on this site are doing more to help me keep going than they know xxxx