Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #16  
banned

I just realized that I kind of like the way running feels, but for now I can only sprint a small amount at a time, so for the past week and a half I've added sprinting to my walking exercise. I don't know my distance. I'm not really sure how to measure it, but I know it takes me about 16-20 minutes to complete my walk.

Will this help me lose weight btw? I guess I'm not really doing it to lose weight just yet (though it would be nice). For now, I'm trying to make exercise a habit for me. It's so hard, though. I've made other things a habit for me (flossing, reading my Bible, ect) but I am having so much trouble making exercise a habit. I seem to like this for now, though. I've walked/sprinted all this week except yesterday and Sunday. And the week before I did it all (except for a day I rode my bike instead).

It's funny. I used to always think I hated being in the summer-like heat outside getting all sweaty and stuff, but I've found that I like it, and I get a really blissful-kind of rush when I'm done and am all sweaty and have an airy kind of feeling in my head. It's nice.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 06-03-2011 at 06:10 AM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Did my usual 5K outside today, for the first time in months. It's almost monsoon season which means the temps are cooling down (90s instead of 100s) so at 8 AM a run outside was doable. The only area to run is a dirt path around a park, which is wonderful because it challenged my quads more than a treadmill and was easier on my joints than the cement road.

As soon as this darn right knee heals, I want to kick up the mileage from 10 miles per week to 15. And possibly 3x a week to 4?

It's so frustrating because my lungs, heart, muscles and WILL are ready for something more, but my joints are not .

Last edited by indiblue; 06-03-2011 at 06:24 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #18  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Indiblue - Thanks but nope...not yet. Still have 2 more lbs to go to goal. These last 2 lbs are killin' meh! But then again, haven't ran in two weeks (knee injury), but diet has been somewhat in check (LOL!). Just started back running this week, so hoping by next weigh in (Monday) I'll be down at least a pound.

Serval - To answer you question...YES! Running will definitely help you drop some lbzzzzzz! That said, IMHO, I think that slow and steady wins the race. In other words...it is better to run for 30 mins at 5mph, than to run for 15 mins at 7mph. I know people here will DISAGREE with this...but this is my personal experience and I have dropped 57 lbs in 7-8 months doing it MY WAY. In any event...I'd start with a run/walk/run program and try to work my way up to 30 mins of this type of interval training before integrating SPRINTS into my routine. Keep at this until you can run straight for one mile, then gradually increase your running time FIRST before you increase INTENSITY. This is MY ADVICE.

Oh and btw, I have now and always listen to the bible or bible based literature during my run. I know a wonderful website where you can download the entire bible onto your mp3. If interested, pm me and I'll send you the link. Great way to kill 2 birds (strengthen mind and body at same time).
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #19  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbanana View Post
I am going to start BRICK workouts on Fridays
Why are you going to do bricks? Are you going to do a triathlon?
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #20  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Happy Friday ladies!

Lastnight I jogged/walked over a mile I am so sore today but no pain no gain!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #21  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Serval-- regarding weight losss and running-- i think you will be more successful if you go longer, even though that means WALKING (walking for weightloss is INCREDIBLY effective!) 16-20 min doesnt burn that many calories.... i think if you went out for a wlk for 30min to an hour a day, and through a few unning intervals into there, youd have more success with weight losss.
if you have your heart set on learning to run, google the Couch to 5K program...... should be right up your ally
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

Just got back from my first run of June. 1 mile jog (13 min mile) followed by 1 mile of sprint/walks. The indoor track I run (too dang hot outside, already 92 at 10am!) is 1/10 mile so I run 1 lap sprint, almost flat out so I guess 6-7mph, and 1 lap brisk walk 3.5mph. I actually enjoy the sprint/walks a LOT more than the initial jog. If my hip didn't hurt, I would have made the full hour. I am still not really liking the running thing, but my butt and legs never looked better! Did 5 minute walk warm up and cool down for about 2.5 miles in 35 minutes. Followed by 30 minutes on the eliptical and another 2 miles. I like to get at least 5 miles of something in a day so I'll walk the dog this evening when things cool down outside

Last edited by NTexas; 06-03-2011 at 12:52 PM.
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

Lookin' good, everybody! It feels like just yesterday that we were all complaining about it being too cold to run outdoors, and now we've flip flopped. Time is flying!

I did my little 3 miler today, and tried to do some intervals. Every other block, I would push the pace. I'm hoping that if I incorporate this method into my short runs, my overall speed will improve as my training progresses.
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 110/105

Height: 5'2

SCraver-nope. Actually thought about a Duatholon for a split second but I am TERRIFIED of falling on my bike and having a hundred people pile up on me =) I just LOVE running and love biking so I thought it would be fun to try them together!
This morning went well. I think I took the 7miles a little too speedy (avg abour 13mph for the majority of the ride). I had a tummy ache that last mile as I was SO hungry for some reason. So after rode home and parked the bike, I walked for a few minutes and then went into my 2mi easy run which didnt end up as easy as I wanted. Was hoping for 10:45-11 min miles and my avg pace ended up being 9:55. Oops =)
Overall I really enjoyed it, though it was tough. Props to all the triatheletes out there-you guys are some tough cookies!!
rawbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #25  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Hey, everyone! Last I checked in it was May and I was running in Central Park during my NYC vacation. I ended up taking a little break from 3FC during May - vacation and whatnot - but I did NOT take a break from running. Now I'm back and catching up on threads again.

I'm still very much a slow, beginning runner, but this morning I did 4 miles at less than 12 min/mile pace. I know that's painfully slow for many of you, but it's both the furthest and the fastest I've run so far. Woo hoo! I'm still trying to add distance more than speed, but today the pace felt right so I stayed there.

My biggest issue now is the heat. Despite having done most of the c25k on a treadmill, outside running is SO much easier (as in, less deadly boring) for me. But in Atlanta it's getting crazy hot. Question - How do you all carry water for your runs? I managed today but would have loved some water at about mile 2.5, and I know it's only going to get worse this summer. I don't want to carry a water bottle because I'm already holding my iPhone (I run on a trail where a phone is a good idea, as well as it having my Nike+ app). Ideas?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #26  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Jen - lots of options here, my preference an armband for your iPhone and a water bottle with a hand thingy to help you hold it. Otherwise there are TONS of water belts out there. Also don't beat yourself up about your speed. You'll get there without much effort. I started around 12 myself and now with no effort I can easily run 10. I also prefer the distance challenge right now, I'm not sure I'll ever really have the desire to push speed. Sometimes I run faster because it really feels good, but most of time time I just do what my body says is right. I'm not sure if this is true, but from what I understand you burn the same cals per mile (approx 100) no matter how fast you run so unless it's a personal goal or you're competing who cares!

A lovely 4 miler yesterday. I managed to make up all the miles I missed Monday when I was sick, so that made me happy. Fun 10 miler tomorrow, then I have to work - on a Sunday - bleck! We're so understaffed and getting so behind on work. It sucks because I love nothing better then a nice mid-day nap after my long run on Sundays - oh well!

Last edited by ncuneo; 06-04-2011 at 05:02 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #27  
banned

mkroyer, how much do you usually burn per run? My heart-rate monitor says I only burn between 250-300 calories. I'm pretty sure that isn't much, though, especially when I'm starving afterward. lol. I could probably get in an extra 10 minutes and make it 30, though.

Thanks, joyfulloser, you can PM me the link if you want.

ncuneo, not to get off topic, but I just noticed your quote at the end of your signature, and that is so very true. I need to start thinking that way, because I overeat almost every time I eat. BTW, I saw that you run 10 miles! Wow. Do you use a heart-rate monitor? If so, what's your usual burn?

BTW, this sounds really ridiculous, but is there an easy way to tell when you've hit a mile while you're outside? Oh, and i don't know if I'm sprinting. I only call it sprinting, because I run as far/long as I can without stopping, then I go back to regular walking when I can't run anymore.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 06-04-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Jen I like in India and it's crazy hot here too, so I feel your pain! I don't like running with water- only because I cramp pretty quickly even with just a sip. I stay hydrated all day long (3-4 liters), especially the hour before the run. I try to run early in the morning and chew GUM to keep my mouth from drying out. That works really well. Not saying you shouldn't carry water, just an idea if you decide not to.

Serval the heart rate monitor seems a bit off? Most people burn around 300 calories per 30 minutes when they run. From all the numbers I've seen walking at a moderate pace is around 150 calories per 30 minutes. If you're doing 15-20 minutes, you may be looking at closer to 75-115ish, though your sprints may bump it up a bit.

The other figure I've heard is 100 calories per mile. If you are walking 16-20 minutes, depending on your pace, you could be doing anywhere from 1-2 miles, or 100-200 calories. Hard to tell more precisely without knowing your pace.

It's super difficult to calculate how many calories exactly one burns during exercise, due to fitness levels and other individualities about each body. That's why a lot of people don't try to eat back the calories they think they burned, because usually we don't burn as many calories as we think we do and could risk eating too much that day.

Good job on incorporating intervals- that's a great way to get the heart rate up.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #29  
banned

That's weird. The heart-rate monitor says my heart-rate stays between 130-150 when I walk, and when I run it bumps it up between 160-180 and that makes the calorie count go faster. Also the terrain is hilly and curvy, that could make you burn more calories, I'm sure. My heart-rate monitor was cheap, though. It only allows you to put your age and gender into it, and I believe it adds a calorie burned for every 10 seconds. Also, it takes my pulse through my finger-pad. That is a shame if I'm not burning what I thought. I guess it's better than doing nothing, but if it is truly closer to what you said, indiblue than I need to incorporate something else, or I'm not going to lose anything at all.

Yes, I'm BAD about overeating after walking/sprinting in the heat. I'm completely famished afterward.

Oh, I'm a pretty fast walker if that helps.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 06-05-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #30  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
The other figure I've heard is 100 calories per mile.
This is what I've always heard and what I've always figured when tracking my exercise. I don't use a heart rate monitor, pretty much because I'm too OCD and would drive myself nuts with that info, being a calorie counter is bad enough
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote