3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Pain in ankles when walking (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/234197-pain-ankles-when-walking.html)

3FCer344892 05-27-2011 01:28 PM

Pain in ankles when walking

So, I took people's advice on here, and have been walking by myself for about 16-22 minutes a day (same distance, I just sometimes finish sooner/later). I've done this all week except for Wednesday, because my husband and I went for a bike ride. :) I also incorporate some sprinting in there, I'd say about 4-6 times depending on how I feel. I can never run that far, but since I'm already warmed up I no longer get side stitches, which is great. :)

Anyway, I have one problem. I'm not sure how far I'm walking, but once I get to my spot (where I turn around, and walk back home or to my parents' house) my right ankle starts to hurt BAD. So bad I have to limp a good bit back. Sometimes both ankles hurt. But they only hurt when walking. When I run, and lift my knees up high they don't hurt.

I was wondering if I should be worried. I can tell it's not a real injury, because it usually goes away once I sit down afterward. But the whole way back home, it hurts really bad, so bad I have to take a breather and stretch out my legs. Does this happen to anyone else?

I do walk pretty fast. I try to keep my heart-rate around 140-176. I'm not sure if that's good or not. My resting heart rate is usually around 60-90 depending on how active I am.

My heart-rate monitor says I usually burn between 250-300 depending on my efforts. I know it's probably off, since I can't type in my weight and height into it, and can only type in my age and gender. Thanks.

ButterCup85 05-27-2011 02:30 PM

I don't know for sure. Just a few thoughts. Do you stretch before you walk? When did you start doing this? I was a little over your weight when I started, my everything hurt. I wasn't active for a long time. But, my ankles never did I don't think. Have you hurt your ankles before? Are you flat footed? Maybe check in to some other shoes or some kind of in soles? And last but not least, if you can I'd recommend checking with a doctor just to be sure. I don't really know, Dear.

When I walk outside around my block- lots of hills and pavement I get pains in my lower ankles and the arches of my feet. I assume it's my shoes or the terrain or the fact I am walking at a high speed. But, at work I walk slower but for 9 hours a day and my ankles never hurt. The elliptical also is really great for me, I can go fast on it with no pains. Maybe it's just our body trying to get used to it? Either way, I'd be cautious.

3FCer344892 05-27-2011 08:21 PM

Yeah, I can walk for hours in stores and I don't get this kind of pain. Where I walk the road is paved, but there are lots of curving hills and slightly steep places. I walk pretty fast too. I was walking a few times a week, but not as fast as I have been or as far as I have been a couple times a week for a while. I've only been walking this way this week. My shoes are pretty worn out. That might be the problem. No, I don't stretch before walking. What stretches would you recommend?

indiblue 05-27-2011 08:28 PM

Way to start walking! It's awesome you've been able to incorporate that and biking into your routine!

I would definitely get new shoes. Shoes that aren't even visibly worn out sometimes need replacing because the cushion has broken down, so if they are visibly worn you may need a new pair. Maybe you could go to a running store and have them watch you walk before you purchase some shoes. They will be able to analyze your gait, if you overpronate, etc and recommend the right type of shoe for you. I imagine you could just buy some less expensive cross-trainers if you plan on only walking, so hopefully the price wont' be too bad. But if you plan to walk every day (which is awesome) and put some mileage on those puppies, it's worth investing in a decent pair :)

I'm not a trainer, but I do know that strengthening the muscles around a painful joint pretty much always is the key to combating injuries. Google exercises for ankle pain; I imagine calf-strengthening stretches and exercises could help? I don't know. For minor pains like that you may be able to get some ideas online from reputable websites (runners world, etc) without going to a doctor. Ice the ankle after you walk (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off two or so times) and if it's swollen take some iburprofen after the walk. These are basic self-treatment courses you can explore for minor pains. If it goes on longer and doesn't get better, then definitely see a doctor.

And yes, new shoes are probably the key!

3FCer344892 05-29-2011 10:06 AM

It goes away within an hour of resting afterward, so I know it's to do with my walking. I guess it's my weight. I never had this problem before, but, oh well.

I did my daily walk in town yesterday, and there was no pain at all. I live in the country, though, so the terrain is different.

Oh, and you do have a point about the shoes. My shoes have worn out, and the soles are torn inside them. I can't afford expensive shoes, so next month I plan to buy another pair of the same kind. They're dainskin, I think. I got them at Walmart, and they're made to look like those shape-up shoes. They're very comfortable.

indiblue 05-30-2011 01:03 AM

It could be exacerbated by curves, slants, or uneven surfaces in the road. This may explain why walking around downtown or a mall doesn't cause pain while walking down a road does.

Yes, definitely get new shoes! Glad you'll be getting them next month- that'll be fun :). It may be worth going to a running store to have them analyze your gait, pronation, etc though. You don't have to buy anything, you could just try different shoes on and get an idea from them about what type of shoe you need. Some people need more support in different places because of the way they walk or the way their foot is shaped. Just tell them you are looking for new shoes, how many miles a week you walk, and ask for them to watch you walk and see what they recommend. You can take their advice and buy a shoe there, or go to another store and look for a cheaper alternative.

If you plan on walking a lot it may be worth putting in a few extra bucks for a great shoe. It would be a shame to spent $40 on shoes that you end up never wearing because you have too much pain, rather than $60-$70 that feel wonderful and you can use every day for walking. It may be a difference of $20 upfront, but in the long run it's a better investment. Just a thought though- do what is best for you! Happy walking!! :)

indiblue 05-30-2011 01:09 AM

PS I just did a quick search on Amazon and it looks like there are a lot of shoes with good review for $40-$50. Doing a search online of reviews for different shoes for the activity you intend to do could be really helpful. That's how I decided on my Saucony ProGrid for running. You could also purchase the shoes on amazon- they usually have a pretty good selection and can sometimes beat Wal-Mart prices.

irishlad 05-31-2011 05:45 AM

Hi. I would reccommend you maybe get Gait analysis on your feet. It could be that you over pronate or under pronate - Basically it could be to do with your arches and arch supports may be needed. Is the pain coming up the inside of your ankle? I am no expert but when starting physical therapy after breaking my leg/ankle I used get this pain up the inside of my ankle. Was perscribed special insoles (about €40, so maybe $50) and they worked well. I dont need to use them anymore now (dont need to, or dont bother, same difference really lol). I was in a shop here last week actually buying trainers for running and then analysed my feet for free. Alot of jogging trainers are designed for different type feet. Some offer arch support, others cushioning, others are neutral. Its only a suggestion but it made a difference for me. Google Gait Analysis in your area and see is there anywhere, or sports shops that do it (Sometimes for free before you buy trainers).

3FCer344892 06-01-2011 01:15 AM

Thanks for the advice, but there actually is no sporting kind of store where I live. I don't even have access to a mall. I only have access to a walmart, payless, and k-mart. And my feet are a weird shape, so getting shoes online is out. If I could buy online I'd be getting those neat vibram 5 finger shoes, but my feet are very wide, but also short, so they aren't always the same size in different shoes, if that makes sense.

I am actually proud of myself. I skipped exercise Sunday, because I couldn't find a good time to do it (with church and all), and I skipped Monday, because it was my Dad's birthday and I spent the day at my parents' house. I was actually going to skip today too, but once I stepped outside, about to walk over to my parents' to carpool to town, I got the urge to walk/sprint. It was VERY hot today, in the 90s, and TN has some serious humidity, but it felt really good just to try and run as far as I could and then to walk. I tried walking slower this time, and the pain wasn't bad enough to make me limp. I think it's a mix of my shoes and of me putting too much stress on my joints by walking too fast. Just my theories.