3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Should I Pay for Running Plan/Coaches? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/233044-should-i-pay-running-plan-coaches.html)

zetaphine 05-12-2011 09:21 AM

Should I Pay for Running Plan/Coaches?

I've decided to run a half marathon this September. A local running store is offering a training class for beginners. I'd like to know if it is worth the $130 or would I be just as well off following a program from the net. I'm looking forward to suggestions/advice. TIA.

joyc21 05-12-2011 09:46 AM

There are a lot of free running resources out there, so if it were me I wouldn't pay for the training class. However, one thing that you'll probably get from the class that you won't get online is ongoing support and other people to run with. It might make the training more bearable.

zetaphine 05-12-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyc21 (Post 3846610)
However, one thing that you'll probably get from the class that you won't get online is ongoing support and other people to run with. It might make the training more bearable.

I've found two running partners, but both are just starting and can run at a pace of run one minute/walk one minute & repeat 15 times for a total of 30 minutes. Since I started that same program in January and can now run 4 miles without stopping, I'm wondering if running with them is hindering my progress. I know that in time they'll also be able to run non-stop, but I wonder if I can afford to progress at their speed.

mkroyer 05-12-2011 10:18 AM

paying to run/train with a group will take the "thinking" away from your end/.... on long runs/ + Im assuming one or two nights a week, they will have the course you are going to follow, on long runs they prob provide water/aide stations..... they would be able to help you learn/figure out all the logistics of training/running long distances, and nutrition, and all that jazz. If you feel like you need, or would do better HAVING a group of people to run with, then i say go for it..... I Dont think youll really be getting "coached" though, if you know what i mean?
I dont think you should let the running levels of your two friends hold you back. PLus, even when/if they finish (im assuming something like C25K) there's no guarentee they will be interrested in running longer distances.
I prefer to run long on my own. Thats a personal preference though. ANd any sort of "plan" they put together for you will be no different than anything you can find for free online or in a book, ESPECIALLY for a beginner.
Now if you were more advanced, looking to improve times and whatnot, a personalizzed program might be more beneficial. But this is not the case. Bottom line, i do not think its a waste of money, given that this is your first experience training to run long distances, and it sounds like you LIKE having support and others to run with

SCraver 05-12-2011 01:10 PM

Everyone else has already given great advise. I just wanted to add that if you are looking for people to run with - check out meetup.com. You might find people to run with (for free!)

zetaphine 05-12-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkroyer (Post 3846663)
ANd any sort of "plan" they put together for you will be no different than anything you can find for free online or in a book, ESPECIALLY for a beginner.

Thanks, Everybody for the awesome feedback. I think I'll follow Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon schedule that I got from halhigdon.com. It's pretty straight forward and I think it will help me progress at a good pace.

Come to find out there's a series of trails in the city with markers every 1/4 mile. One of my biggest concerns was not being able to measure my outdoor running with the same ease as when I'm on a treadmill. I love running indoors, but feel I work harder outside.

dust2bunny 05-12-2011 03:51 PM

I think there are pros and cons for signing up vs. doing it on your own. Perhaps make a list to help you choose. In the end it is your decision : )

dust2bunny 05-12-2011 03:55 PM

PS. if you are interested in the distance you ran and have a iphone or something similar there are apps that calculate it for you, you just need to have the phone on you while you run. I use the CardioTrainer on my verizon phone, it gives you mileage, average pace, etc. It was really helpful when I was training for the 5K.

zetaphine 05-13-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dust2bunny (Post 3847234)
I use the CardioTrainer on my verizon phone, it gives you mileage, average pace, etc. It was really helpful when I was training for the 5K.

I found CardioTrainer for my Android phone. Thanks for the tip; I can't wait to try it out on tomorrow's 4 mile run.