3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running! Others new to running or anyone with suggestions? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/231547-running-others-new-running-anyone-suggestions.html)

DTerminedOne1219 04-21-2011 07:42 PM

Running! Others new to running or anyone with suggestions?

So, as a way to keep my motivated during my weight loss journey i have decided i want to become a runner! Running will be a great way for me to get in some extra cardio and it should hopefully be a great way for me to maintain my weight loss and stay in shape once i hit my goal weight.

That being said, i also am a very goal minded individual so i needed something else to work towards, something a bit more tangible other than just a number on the scale!

I think i chose running because i was always very athletic in highschool even being overweight, and i used to be able to run to clear my head. Now i never had the stamina or strenght to run very far but i always wished i could.

So, to keep myself motivated and give myself a tangible goal i talked two of my best friends into helping me train to become a runner. I have an ultimate goal of hitting 125 lbs by my birthday in march of 2012 so i figure why not try to run a 10k when i hit my numeric goal?!

Haha so my friends think i'm crazy and i do too but i want to get something out of this weight loss journey that i can use everyday to remind myself of why it is necessary to keep the weight off! I can barely speed walk right now and it drives me crazy how out of shape i am!!!

So here's the goals i have set forth for me and my friends:

July: Walk a 5k

September: Run a 5k

December/January: participate in a 10k combining walking and running as much as i can.

March: Run a 10k!!

Now i don't even think i can walk 3 miles (5k) let alone run for any far distance so i need some serious conditioning. I am doing zumba and turbo fire with my sister to get back into shape but i need to start walking to get my stamina up to where i can get to running! My friends and i want to come up with a training schedule and some idealistic ways of getting my up to par with being able to run 3 or 6 miles for the races.

I am open to all suggestions, because right now all i can think of is just starting to walk as much as i can to get into shape a little better!

Anyone want to join in the festivities as well?

THANKS!!!

JessLess 04-21-2011 07:51 PM

I started running on a treadmill and if my goal was to run for 10 minutes I would sprint for the last minute. I think doing fast and slow intervals helps. And... I just started doing the Couch25K again.

Good luck, it does great things for my body and I hope it does for you too!

Ursula745 04-21-2011 07:56 PM

I feel like I'm reading about myself. I love running. I'm 5'1" and 199 lbs. I also love Zumba, Jazzercise, and Turbo Jam. C25K is wonderful. I love it. It has helped me a lot. I have walked/jogged 4 5Ks and one 10K. I plan to jog my next 5K in May. Intervals are the best way to train IMO. Good luck.

Gloriann 04-21-2011 08:04 PM

This sounds like the post I needed to hear! I've wanted to start running, but I am apprehensive to do so because of my size. Mainly, I'm afraid that running at this weight would be detrimental to my joints. Any plus-sized runners out there have input on this? Are you extra careful about your joints, or have you had no problems?

Thanks!

aimeebell 04-21-2011 08:23 PM

I began the C25K program on January 24th, and ran my first 5K race on March 13th. I have never been a runner, and it was very, very HARD difficult to get through the program, but I did it. I didn't start to love running until the program was over, when I got through all the mental barriers and suddenly I knew I could RUN. I think it is great that you set goals. Have a race picked out kept me going.

DTerminedOne1219 04-21-2011 08:26 PM

@Gloriann, I have a bad need and when i walk on the treadmill i have one foot that hurts really bad! I think the intervals will help alot with helping to get the righht stride that works for you without hurting yourself! Not jumping in too much too fast is the way to go. Also, i'm lucky enough to have a good friend that works at a sporting goods store so she was able to find me the perfect sneakers to run in! you should visit a store too, to make sure the sneakers you wear will be the best fit for you!

@Ursula, haha we do sound a lot a like! I just read about the couch 2 5k plan myself and a friend of mine and i are going to start it on monday!!! I think we'll modify it a bit to make it a bit easier for me because i am quite out of shape. But that gives me 4 months to be able to run a 5k and at least that way, if i can do it in a shorter amount of time then thats even better!

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'll probably be tracking my running progress on here! anyone want me to create a thread to track my progress that others can track on too? Let me know and i'll be glad to!

Ursula745 04-21-2011 08:33 PM

I am plus sized and I haven't had any problems. I do have a diagnosis of arthritis in my hips, knees, and ankles. It's gotten better the more I workout and the more I lose. That said, I have adopted a minimalist running style with minimalist running shoes that promote a mid foot strike rather than a heel strike. I cannot heel strike. It hurts. Search on barefoot running and see if minimalist running is for you. It might not be. You don't have to run barefoot either to run in a minimalist fashion.

ILRPinkGirl 04-21-2011 08:43 PM

To throw my $.02 in here...just over a year ago I weighed about 235 when I completed a half-marathon (through a mix of jogging and walking) and also have done about seven 5Ks in the past year. It's completely possible to do while plus-size, it's just important that you practice so that you just don't show up to the race and expect greatness to happen. Also, to mentally prepare yourself, realize that there are a lot of super in-shape people doing this race. The first time I did a 5K I was in like 3rd to last place, and was a bit embarrassed. But moving forward I made it about myself and beating my old time rather than caring about how I stacked up against the other participants. And I've always found other participants to be incredibly nice and supportive, so I think you'll have a great time as long as you prep for it. Good luck!

fatferretfanatic 04-21-2011 08:56 PM

Heck yeah, IRLPinkGirl. I'd love to compete in a full marathon and a half marathon someday this year. I've started running this past March and went from not being able to run 30 secs or a min to running almost three miles (I hope that I can run the full next week!)

joyfulloser 04-21-2011 10:25 PM

One thing I thought I'd mention. Avoid the "heel strike". That's where you hit the ground heel first. This can cause alot of injuries/pain. Since your just starting, you may want to google or youtube some videos which demonstrate running with correct form. Secondly, but very important, buy a GOOD pair of running sneakers...get properly fitted for a pair at a REAL running store that specializes in running apparrel (not the lady footlocker kind;)), lastly, take it slow and listen to your body. Some days you'll feel like you can go further...and your lungs CAN...but unfortunately our "joints" don't graduate as fast as our lungs do...so keep your mileage/intensity increases down to 1-2 weeks depending on how you feel.

Oh and btw, I started running at 200 lbs (30 secs run/2 mins walk)....it only took me 9-10 weeks before I could run my first 5K, and now I run 5.4 miles/4 days per week! If I can do it...anybody can...GO FOR IT!!!

Happy trails!:carrot:

SCraver 04-22-2011 12:58 PM

I run both in regular sneakers and in minimalist shoes (VFF's). I am up to being able to do 4.6 miles in an hour in my sneaks and 1.6 miles in my VFF's. No matter HOW you run or WHAT KIND of shoes you run in - start slow! I had SUCH sore shins when I first started. But now, I find even in my beat up sneaks, I don't get shin soreness anymore (and I have done ALL of my running weighing between 204 and 232 lbs).

The C25K is a great way to start. I think there are a few weeks in there that seem to jump up quite a bit. I found doing my own thing with intervals worked for me. I would do a minute running, a minute walking (or 30 sec. running, 1 min. walking) and I would just increase my run time as I was able to do more. (ie. 2 min. run, 1 min. walk... until I could do 3 min. run, 1 min. walk).

5ks are awesome. I still finish towards the end of the pack, but I see ALL shapes, sizes and ages doing them. Whether you walk or run, they are fun! Runners seem to have a great attitude!

CherryPie99 04-22-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloriann (Post 3818928)
This sounds like the post I needed to hear! I've wanted to start running, but I am apprehensive to do so because of my size. Mainly, I'm afraid that running at this weight would be detrimental to my joints. Any plus-sized runners out there have input on this? Are you extra careful about your joints, or have you had no problems?

Thanks!

I started running (short distances) at over 280 pounds and have had no issues at all with my joints (knock wood). I now typically run 2.5 - 3 miles at a time.

DTerminedOne1219 04-24-2011 08:58 PM

I've tried just setting my own intervals for running/walking but i find that for myself if i dont have like a goal to hit or a written agenda for what to do that i tend to slack so i think just having the idea of the C25k as a program to follow will just give me the mindset that i need to push myself rather than convincing myself i cant do it just so i can slack a bit!

JuliaTN 04-24-2011 11:33 PM

I am planning on running a half marathon in Ethiopia next year (yes, I will be coming in DEAD LAST against East Africans), so that is incredible motivation for me. When I semi-committed to it, I thought it was a 10K but found out last night that it's a half - d'oh!

I am decidedly on the couch side of the C25K programs, having just started last week. So I don't have any suggestions but I can commiserate.

DTerminedOne1219 04-25-2011 05:50 PM

one step at a time! but feel free to keep us posted on your progress!