Good idea to work out when you still feel sore from previous work out?

• Hello,

Sorry if that question sounds silly, but I have just been wondering. Should one incorporate a rest day when feeling sore from work out (not meaning any injury here, just muscle soreness in some areas that you have worked hard the previous day) or is it ok to go ahead and work out again on the very next day? From previous reading I understand that for beginners it is recommended to do weight training only every other day. Is that also true for aerobics?

Thank you very much for your help!
  • I work out when I'm sore. I have a yoga practice, not weight lifting but there are many days when I'm sore and I get back on the mat the next day. It actually helps the soreness.
  • If I am sore, I still work out, I just try to dial it back a notch. On days when I am sore - I don't try to set any personal records. Stretching is great if you are sore (and great even if you aren't!). And even working out when I am sore often helps with the soreness/stiffness. Soreness is ok - but don't push yourself to the point of pain.
  • When I am sore I still do my cardio. It actually eases the tnsion and after 10-15 minutes doesn't bother me. Now if I am still sore from lifting we usually don't lift again on those same muscles. Tuesday I did lower body and my glutes are pretty sore... so we will probably go light on them today.
  • Weight lifting rule of thumb: a muscle that was fatigued needs at least 48 hours to recover. So don't lift every day. Every other is fine, even if still a little sore.

The risk is over use injury if you fatigue the same muscles every day.

Considering that our muscles routinely work as a group, this may be difficult to do entirely. Be aware of what muscles did the bulk of the training and the next day opt for exercises that emphasize the use of other muscles.