3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   What if you're never sore...? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/229819-what-if-youre-never-sore.html)

sacha 04-07-2011 04:34 PM

Hey, I've been weightlifting for almost 8 years now and can do a proper 200lb deadlift or 135lb squat, for several reps, without any soreness the next day :) Pushing yourself is important BUT you don't have to hurt ("DOMS" = delayed onset muscle soreness) to show for it. If you feel better, you can do more than you used to a while ago, and most of all, are exercising and having fun, then that's all that matters :)

You have another group of people, those who think you must feel sore after or else you didn't work hard enough - in 10 years, I call those the chronically injured people!

fitness4life 04-07-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaebaka (Post 3796353)
No offense taken. Although, I am pretty confident about having a fairly realistic perception of my exertion level from my exercise. I do have music playing, but I always focus on my workout activities, not doing the zoning out watching TV / reading while using a machine type of thing. I do keep pretty close track of my heart rate while doing most cardio activities and make myself go harder if I feel like it's too low. (Get it moving up from ~ 150 to ~ 165 - 170)

I am a little curious about your description of "sweating and out of breath yet their routine is minimal intensity training"... What would you say is a good description of a satisfactory level of intensity then? And how can a person best judge whether they're pushing themselves the correct amount?

I probably do have a relatively high pain tolerance, but I think that's also distinct from having a high pain threshold...?

First of all, related to the original question, has anyone here suggested she do lower weight higher reps? There's nothing wrong with taking a longer time to fatigue the muscle. Every other week I would mix it up this way when i was lifting 3x wk.

To answer your Q about sweating and out of breath...I'm taking about when someone gets to where they sweat and out of breath, and then they stop. Or when they've run 1 lap (and I know they can run 1.5 miles) and as soon as the resps go up, they slow down instead of keeping pace and getting their breathing rhythm.

I can't say what is a good description of a satisfactory level of intensity because outwardly we all look different when we exert ourselves. For instance, I am not a sweaty person. I can run 5K and barely perspire even when I have had my best time. I would say when you haven't achieved the same level of strength reps or distance as previously achieved. I don't know!!!!

Also I want to address that it's clear that every body is different. I mentioned I haven't had a work out where I'm NOT sore the next day. I didn't say this was the rule for everyone. I also want it pointed out that I have had one over use injury in my life. IT band - 2 years ago - I live where it's winter 7 months of the year. I didn't run (coz I only run for fun) for 6 months and went out and did 10 miles 2x a week. Learned a big lesson. Now I run year round to prevent that from happening each spring.