Opinions on running training needed

• Hi! So, um...never ran before but want to. So, I'm starting with couch to 5k of course and am in moderately good cardiovascular health so I should be good (hopeful grin). Now, I'm training on a treadmil (live in N.E. still very cold). My plan....is to do the 9 weeks on the treadmill and then do the program again (starting at wherever I'm comfortable...hopefully not wk 1) outside. I MAY (shhh...you heard it here first and I'm not yet committing) run a 5 k in September...that would give me plenty of time to complete the program twice. ONce for confidence inside and once for real to train outside. What do you all think???
  • Couch to 5k is a great program. I personally detest running on treadmills but I completely understand the need to be inside when it's unpleasant outside. I would suggest you get outside whenever you can - most people find running outside harder than on a treadmill, so the sooner you can get outside, the better! I would maybe do the first few weeks on the treadmill, until the weather is more conducive to being outside, and then when you're ready to go outside, maybe repeat the week you just did on the treadmill. That way, you've done the plan on the treadmill, so the only thing you're changing is the surroundings. If you opt to do the entire program on the treadmill then repeat it outside, I doubt very much you'd need to start at week one - more likely around week five or six, if even that.

Good luck - and remember to enjoy yourself!
  • Thank u! I'll let u know how I did!