Interval training...do you love it or hate it?

• Just wondered how people feel about interval taining. It currently my trainer's favourite way to torture me. Lol!!! But today I was in the gym on my own and realised I actually dont mind it so much, dont know if that's just coz I didnt have someone shouting "pick it up/youre fitter than this!", every 2 secs. But on the positive side, it stops my cardio from getting boring! some how feels like the times going faster. Am very confused about whether I hate it or love it! Anyone else have this love/hate feeling?
  • My trainer had me doing interval training on the elliptical in 2 minute cycles. Easy at 125 strides per minutes, cross ramp 4 and hard at over 160 strides per minute, crossramp 15. I did it 3 X a week for 2 weeks and I've decided I HATE it. I prefer to adjust crossramp and resistance to the song on my IPOD. It keeps it more interesting for me.
  • Hi ASF. I love interval training. I'm hoping it will help me burn some body fat better than traditional cardio. I've been doing it on the treadmill (admittedly not the best choice) for long cycles where I run as hard as I can for 60 seconds then jog slowly for 60. I do 5 or 6 cycles.I try to increase my top speed by .2mph or so every couple weeks. Then I go on the ellyptical at about level 10-12 resistance, go as fast as I can for 15 or 20 seconds, then cut the resistance and slow down for 40 or 45. I do this for 8 or 10 cycles. By the end of each sprint on the treadmill or the ellyptical I just about literally feel like I can't go another step. My running speed has increased dramatically (to me), yesterday on a traditional run I was able to hit 5.1 mph and keep it there in relative comfort for 10 minutes whereas about 6 months ago that probably would have been the sprint speed I'd be trying to hit for 60 seconds and I haven't seen much change on the scale but I feel much leaner and fitter.

There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open
  • Love HIIT cardio indoors is super boring and it's the only way I can do it insid it also makes time fly by...
  • I loved it until it messed with my ankles... now I'm waiting for my tax refund so I can buy some NICE sneakers, then I'm giving it another try. I dont think my old ones have enough support for HITT.
  • I like it because after just a week of doing it I can already see results (the scale hasn't changed but physically there's a huge difference!). However, it's hard! I found if I change the interval lengths it's the best thing for me because then I don't get bored as easily.
  • Quote: Love HIIT cardio indoors is super boring and it's the only way I can do it insid it also makes time fly by...
    I feel exactly the same.

Also, when I do cardio, I try to go as hard a possible, which is not always a good thing. Intervals "allow" me to ease up a bit.
  • I like intervals but I don't do anything close to HIIT.
  • Hey guys, thanks for you comments. Think I like intervals when i'm working out on my own. like you guys said it makes it more intersting and think it is definitely better than constant speed cardio. But today made me realise that I hate intervals if I'm with my trainer! I swear he uses them as torture! Think my love hate relationship is going to carry on! Lol!
  • i just tried interval training the other week and i think its great!! i normally HATE running because i think it is boring.. but my friend forced me to do it in intervals and it made the run MORE bearable! i think its great because the minutes pass by faster!!