3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Wii fit.....Does it work for you? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/229141-wii-fit-does-work-you.html)

Sonjae 03-28-2011 01:29 PM

Wii fit.....Does it work for you?

I have med issues and can't be in heat or cold for very long and I cant afford a gym member ship so my best options are indoor exercises at home. I have an elliptical and pilates video. Those a great but I also have the wii fit. It is nice to change it up and have some fun so I wanted to know what experiences others have had with this? Did you lose weight? Did you have fun? Did it keep you motivated? How long did you use it before you started noticeing a difference? If it didn't work can you pin point why? was it not strenuous enough? Did it not hold your interest? So on and so forth. Any thing you have to say about it please let me know!
Thanks so much!

MusicalJess 03-28-2011 01:41 PM

I love my wii fit. I started using it regularly this month and have found it really useful. I think its helping my fitness levels slowly but surely. The jogging and boxing are my fav. exercises.

Sonjae 03-28-2011 02:19 PM

Thanks for your reply every bit of info helps! :)

Mindless Games 03-28-2011 02:22 PM

I <3 Wii Fit
I think everyone should have one :D

MusicalJess 03-28-2011 02:24 PM

Deffo!! Everyone should definitely go get themselves a wii fit!

konfyoozed 03-28-2011 05:48 PM

i adore my wii fit, except when the little thing tells me i'm obese and my mii gets super fat. :(

i love the game 'walk it out' too, that you can use with the wii fit board. i've been using that lately. you put in your height and weight, and it calculates how far you've walked and how many calories you've burned for the distance. just walking in place on the balance board to the beat of different music.

Sonjae 03-28-2011 06:01 PM

I will have to look for that game thanks!
My mii is fat too lol it bothers me a little less now then it did the first time but I am going to make it lose some weight lol.
Thanks for your replys keep them coming what are your fav work outs and are there any success stories of weight loss or do you use it just to break up your more strenuous exercises? Are there any for the other side? Everyone says they love it does someone out there have a good reason we should be cautious? Thanks!

Lurker89 03-28-2011 09:52 PM

I used it for about a week before the novelty of the thing wore off.

In my opinion, there's nothing really special about the Wii fit. I thought it was neat at first, sort of a "carrot on the stick" approach where you get to see your progress. However, I think in the end you're better off getting your exercise without it.

So you can walk on it and it tracks your steps and how many calories you supposedly burned? So what? You can do that outside. Heck, you can do it inside too - and without spending any money on the console, etc.

I would highly suggest investing in either an elliptical machine or an exercise bike along with a good book in lieu of the Wii. You'll get better results faster.

-L89

Sonjae 03-28-2011 10:13 PM

Thanks for the "other side" lol I do see how the novelty of it could wear off quick. I do have an elliptical that I use but I already own the wii fit so can't save the money but for those who are thinking about buying it they might have a little something to ponder first thanks!

Riemontana 03-28-2011 10:35 PM

I love my wii fit! I need a knee replacement due to severe arthritis and on the days that I hurt too much to do low impact aerobics, I love my wii. I like that I can enter my calorie burn goal for the day and it will tell me how I am doing. I don't find the aerobics rigorous but it is a nice, steady calorie burn.

The scale feature is not accurate or consistent. Perhaps this is because I am using it on a carpeted surface. It is a real confidence builder for people who don't feel comfortable or are new to excercise.Some of the balance games and sports activities are motivating for people new to fitness.

The best feature is the wii fit plaza. You can pre-program a strength, yoga, or combination workout. You can also set your calorie burn goal for the day. I really like it, and I enjoy the "game" feel to the process.

konfyoozed 03-28-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurker89 (Post 3780182)
So you can walk on it and it tracks your steps and how many calories you supposedly burned? So what? You can do that outside. Heck, you can do it inside too - and without spending any money on the console, etc.

some of us can't "do that outside" due to severe allergies, i am one of those people. so for me, this is an excellent alternative.

Lurker89 03-29-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0nfyo0zed (Post 3780341)
some of us can't "do that outside" due to severe allergies, i am one of those people. so for me, this is an excellent alternative.

The Wii is probably a decent alternative then. Though, I think one can probably get the same quality workout and spend a fraction of the price by investing in an exercise mat or getting a cinder block to step on while you watch TV.

I feel for people with severe allergies. I'm at the opposite end of the same spectrum - not severely allergic, but allergic to: trees, mold, cats, dogs, dust and even feathers. :(

- L89

Lurker89 03-29-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riemontana (Post 3780255)
The scale feature is not accurate or consistent. Perhaps this is because I am using it on a carpeted surface.

Mine came with extra pieces for the legs on the board for carpeted surfaces. Not sure if they're supposed to make it more accurate or prevent it from bottoming out though.

- L89