Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 01:55 PM   #1  

Default Need help with weight training

Hello to all. I'm looking for some help with weight training. I use dumbells at home and am looking for some type of listing of exercises I need to do. I'm looking to tone my arms, shoulder, and back. I do aerobics at the YWCA, but I'm not a member so they won't help me with the weight training stuff. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

I really enjoy The Firm Tough Tape 2 exercise video/DVD & Tamilee Webb's I Want That Body exercise video/DVD. Both are strength training workouts that contain upper body. I've found that having someone to work along with at home (i.e. video/DVD instructor) helps me with proper form and technique and keeps me motivated to finish the last few reps that are killing me! Good Luck!
Old 02-11-2003, 08:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

If you need some good videos to use your weights with, some great ones are "Getting in Shape with Weights for Dummies" and Denise Austin's "Totally Firm" and Kathy Smiths "Lift Weights to Lose Weight." All of these have exercises for the entire body-upper body, abs, and lower body. They all are great, in that they explain what each exercise works-your biceps, back, etc.
Aphil
Old 02-13-2003, 01:56 PM   #4  

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I wound up getting the Getting In Shape for dummies video. I've done it once and it seems pretty good. I wanted to get the Firm tapes, but I couldn't justify spending $25.00 for 4 tapes when all I really needed was one.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:00 PM   #5  

HI Amanda the thing with only having one tape is that you can get bored of it and if you use more that one tape you can cross train better. I have alot of the firm tapes and it is nice to get a different workout every day of the week if you want. I do alot of the cross trainer. So if you do go for the 4 pack you can get a variety of work outs.
Tanya
Old 02-14-2003, 08:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

This is true-but the benefit of the "Dummies" tape that I suggested is that it is great for those who are not real familiar with weight training. It explains all of the jargon such as reps, sets, and explains thoroughly the proper form needed to execute each exercise for best results and without injury. It is basically weight training 101. It has all of the basics-rows, lunges, squats, bicep curls, etc. without anything fancy-just a full body workout with weights. It aslo shows the mproper modifications for exercises, such as push-ups, and to do exercises seated rather than standing-so you can vary it depending on your balance and fitness level.
I love the Firm tapes, and I also do some harder ones like Joyce Vedral and Rachel McLish-but I like those who need help to truly understand proper form, and the difference between reps and sets, and to really get the know how of weight training to start.
Weight training can seem a little overwhelming to a beginner sometime-and this tape really makes it easy to understand, so that you will feel more confident when you do other tapes.
Good luck everyone!
Amy
Closed Thread