Most effective exercises

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I noticed there is a sticky post about the 10 most ineffective exercises. does anyone have any suggestion for the most EFFECTIVE exercises???

J
  • For me it's cardio and weight-training in intervals.
  • I think it depends on your goals, body type, and capability. For me, running causes the pounds to literally melt away.
  • I love running too, specially HIIT ( high intensity interval training ) ... AND weight training ... IMHO you can't do one without the other ...
  • HIIT makes me sweat like nothing else.
  • HIIT is so unpleasant.

I've found my best success with running and pushups.
  • I'd say for weight lifting, compound exercises that use multiple muscle groups (i.e., squat, bench/push up, deadlift, press, etc.). But really, for both weight training and cardio, etc., the most effective exercise is the one that you enjoy the most and will want to do rather than feeling like you have to do.
  • High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
    The winner, hands down.
  • Quote: HIIT is so unpleasant.

I've found my best success with running and pushups.
    Oh God, I am so glad to hear someone else say that. I have tried, really. I still frickin hate it. I seriously would rather spend twice or three times the time doing some exercise I don't dislike as much.
  • HIIT, yep.

But other than that, anything you love.

I'm particularly fond of spinning. I do not love running, but I do it. Pushups, pull ups, squats, lunges, planks, and running up and down the stairs.
  • The best is one you love because you will stick with it in long term.

Simple, right?
  • A lot of you have mentioned HIIT. I'm always up for something new since I get bored quickly with workouts.

Can any of you give me examples of how you do HIIT on the treadmill (like 1 minute at 6.0 and 3 recovery minutes at 3.5)?
  • Emme, to me, HIIT is all out...ALL OUT! No, 6.0 wouldn't cut it. It's more like 9.0 for 30 seconds followed by a 90 second rest, repeat for 8-20 minutes. It's a whole lot harder than it sounds. Whatever you choose to do for that 30 seconds simply has to be all out, something you can not sustain for more than 20-30 seconds. The treadmill would scare me. I'd rather sprint outside.

I have done HIIT running up and down the stairs and this is very effective. I have also done it on the elliptical or on the bike.
  • Quote: Emme, to me, HIIT is all out...ALL OUT! No, 6.0 wouldn't cut it. It's more like 9.0 for 30 seconds followed by a 90 second rest, repeat for 8-20 minutes. It's a whole lot harder than it sounds. Whatever you choose to do for that 30 seconds simply has to be all out, something you can not sustain for more than 20-30 seconds. The treadmill would scare me. I'd rather sprint outside.

I have done HIIT running up and down the stairs and this is very effective. I have also done it on the elliptical or on the bike.
    Cool, thanks. I can only jog comfortably at 4.3 right now, so I'll see what 8 or 9 feels like to get the 20-30 second mark! I'm excited to try this!
  • I should clarify that the 90 second "rest" should be a comfortable jog, like the 4.3 you mentioned. It could also be a brisk walk. It's not standing on the sides of the machine huffing and puffing.