3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   did you just walked for your excercise? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/219829-did-you-just-walked-your-excercise.html)

zeli 12-16-2010 07:17 AM

did you just walked for your excercise?

Just wondering if anybody just did the walking for their daily excercise?
I'm not into the loving stage of excercising yet...but I don't mind to walk...
How much weight did you lose with walking? I say walking is better than nothing at all.... Thanks;)

hatethesweatpants 12-16-2010 07:47 AM

Yes! Diet is 80% of weight loss, I would say. For my first 40-50lbs, all I did was walk 3-5x/week. But, I watched my diet very closely. As I lost weight, I gained more energy and wanted to try new activities, but many people walk exclusively, lose weight, and keep it off!

Rosinante 12-16-2010 07:59 AM

I've done nothing but walk. Even that I hated at first but now love. I'm about to set off in a blizzard to go Christmas shopping!

At some point, I Will look into some muscle toning sessions but so far I've walked and eaten 80lbs off, 53.3 of them since the end of May 2010, so I can safely say it works!

BillBlueEyes 12-16-2010 08:19 AM

For the first month of my journey, my only exercise was walking.

I lost ten pounds that month mainly from eating less; part of that "less" was the cheese and crackers that I didn't eat after work . . . because I was out walking.

Now the gym is part of my life also; I love it.

pageta 12-16-2010 08:27 AM

I lost 50 lbs walking 1 hr a day at a brisk pace. So I wasn't breathing hard, but I wasn't strolling either. Just whatever felt comfortable but didn't require me to push myself. I've stopped walking due to winter weather and am doing higher intensity stair stepping indoors for now, but I intend to go back to walking as soon as the weather permits.

If you're going to walk, you just have to workout longer than you would if you were jogging or doing something more intense. But I hate exercise that makes me spend all my time working to keep up the intensity, so I'd much rather go for a long walk and listen to an audiobook and actually enjoy myself. I have friends who have lost weight and kept it off this way, too.

I have a pedometer and when I started I averaged around 5800 steps in an hour. I gradually lengthened my route and now I average around 8200 steps in an hour. When I walk a trail with marked miles, I do a 15 minute or 15:30 mile. My BMI is now close to 22, and it was 29 when I started.

So yes, you can just do walking. I think it's far more important to not do something you absolutely hate - otherwise you're more likely to quit which kind of defeats the purpose.

zeli 12-16-2010 08:40 AM

WOW!!! you are all doing so great! Thanks for your replies!!! I'm putting my sneakers on right now, and going for a walk!:) have a great day everyone!!!

Joy2MeNu 12-16-2010 10:40 AM

Yip, I walked, about an hour a day / 6 days a week and watched 70 lbs come off in 4 months. I was also doing the MRC diet at this time as well. Walking was, I believe, key to toning me so that I actually appeared to have lost more than I really did. I continue to walk, as I can't imagine now not doing it!

tytbody 12-16-2010 01:39 PM

Walking is simple, no stress and it connects you to nature.

I've not lost yet just due to walking but do enjoy it. You can go at your own pace and not have to keep up with anyone.

A good video to tr for indoors is Bob Harpers Power Walk. 15 minutes DONE? Want more do 2 segments. Great. I love the chain ability.

zeli 12-16-2010 02:26 PM

I'm new here too, tytbody! I feel the same way as you, walking is easy and it re-energizes you when you can go into nature! good luck to you!

tytbody 12-16-2010 04:54 PM

HI Zeli:) Glad you are learning as I.

After I read this post earlier, I got my boots on, dawned my Bomber hat and took the dog by the leash and said, mush. we are going walking.

Now I feel good. I'm glad I moved. This forum did it and it was cold but I made it. One day better then yesterday.

My knees were cold as Ice so maybe when it's 34 degrees again, which will be from now on probably, I'll put on my snow pants and still go.

Make sure you keep your feet warm. Nothing like distractions to keep you from your will.

zeli 12-17-2010 07:13 AM

hi tytbody
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

It's not always easy to choose to go out in the cold, but like you said, you feel so good afterwards!!!

I'm not one who is constant or even enjoy excersise. To me all the cadio's-aerobics-weight lifting....seems too much, for now...hopefully later I'll get a kick out of it....and learn to like it. But walking I can do, and actually enjoy!!!

Continue your walks, and dress warmer so you don't freeze...WE CAN DO IT!!!

Mirj 12-21-2010 06:35 AM

I'm new to this site and I walk back and forth to work every day, three kilometers in each direction. It takes me about 40 minutes each way. In the mornings I don't walk as briskly as I would like, I don't want to show up at work all sweaty. On the way home, on the other hand, I really trot. I just started doing this last week, and so far it's only really rained once and then I took the bus. We're lucky that our winters are mild and very condusive to walking. Summers, on the other hand, are another story altogether, hot and sticky!

I just bought a pair of Skecher's Shape Ups, I don't know how much they really do what they say they do. I think I feel a little bit of the burn in the backs of my legs. One thing I can say, they really are very, very confortable, worth every penny in that aspect.

darway 12-21-2010 08:31 AM

I moved to my current address in early 2008, partly because I'd be closer to the Charlotte Greenway system. :running: I realized that I needed to change my environment to become more active, and I'd never really get much exercise on city streets or keep up a gym membership.

I've used it for walks about once a month at first, then I became very active for a while ... walking 8 miles a day at one point.

Then I slacked off because I had another priority impinging on me during the summer. :rolleyes:

I'm cracking the whip on myself again though. Walked an hour and a half yesterday...

Hope 2010 12-21-2010 09:08 AM

In the summer months I do a lot of walking- It really tones my legs and clears my head for the day. One thing that makes it extra enjoyable for me is listening to podcasts. This summer I found Fat 2 Fit Radio (on itunes). It keeps me motivated.

tytbody 12-21-2010 03:27 PM

that pod cast sounds interesting. What do they talk about? what is it under so I can find it on itunes?

Nice to have you here Miriyummy..

from what I understand, they make these snow boots for walking... lol I love mine.

We are a blessed people to give thanks to be able to walk.