3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Overtraining/Undereating... Worst Case Scenario (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/219719-overtraining-undereating-worst-case-scenario.html)

mkroyer 12-15-2010 12:20 PM

twinmomma-- i disagree--- i would say that MOST people who train aggressively and undereat never develop symptoms to the severity i am dealing with.....
That being said, are you an endocrinologist? Im not trying to start a fight, believe me, but i dont feel its ever appropriate to make a blanket statement, such as ALL, or NEVERor NO ONE..... How can you say there is absolutely NO CONNECTION? Ther *might* not be....
However this tumor is benign, and my endo believes there IS a connection (though no one can know for sure) between my overtraining, loss of period, and the development of the tumor. The loss of my period very directly imfluenced the estrogen production in the pituitary (its asctually FSH hormone, i believe, but its related to the productionf of estrogen, etc) and its possible the tumor developed in response to plummeting sex hormones, becazuse there are 2 types of benign pituitary tumors-- those that secrect hormones, and those that dont (called non-functioning)
Some kind of Goiters, as an example, develop from inadequate iodine, resulting in overproduction of thyroid hormones... it is an environmental response to stress.... researchers have noted links between breast cancer and the elevation of certain sex hormones...

my point is, people shouldnt go around making blanket all or nothing statements, especially on a topic they are not an expert.

to be honest, i was offended when i read your post
[-, and i also thought i t was in poor taste to tell me flat out that i am wrong and that my doctor is wrong, especially given i was just diagnosed yesterday
Again, not trying to fight,m but that was my gut, honest reaction
i know develping a benign tumor on the very gland most asensitive to and affected by over ttraining is improbzble to most people, but if youll read the title of the thread, it says "worst case scenario", not "you are all giving yourselves tumors"
i made it a point to talk about how overtraining is different for EVERYONE, from its symptoms, to level of training one does to cause it. To be fair though, ammenorhea is not that uncommon, and thats how all my toubles bega...
it is also important to not that a woman really doesnt have to train aggtessively at all, to overtrain herself, IF SHE is NOT EATING enough

twinmommaplusone 12-15-2010 02:01 PM

I feel sorry that you actually think you caused this for yourself. I really do. I hope you find a peace within yourself that you dont blame your desires to run or train hard for something came back to bite you. I would love to know why you think I made the blanket statement when I'm clearly trying to say....You should not make the blanket statement, lol.

It's simple really my point really is. First......I'm sorry you are going through this, is humane and honestly guenuine human being I really hate to hear a person struggle. Secondly that I hope other understand that if you over do it it does not necessarily mean you will get a tumor on your pituitary. I dont need to be an endo to read the facts. Just saying.

I'm not going to refer back to this thread and keep willingly support the idea that you actually caused your own situation and accept the fact that others should be mindful of that too. Just rediculous to me. I will say a prayer that you honestly find the understanding that should NOT blame yourself for your tumor. Our bodys do things to defy us everyday without our own willful doing. I've lost loved ones to Cancer, I know!

mandalinn82 12-15-2010 02:33 PM

There are definitely benign tumors/abnormal growths that can be caused by stresses or insufficiency in certain nutrients - for example, goiters (an abnormal growth in the thyroid gland) can be caused by lack of iodine in the diet (one reason that table salt generally comes with added iodine). The organ gets larger to compensate for the need to manufacture more of the hormone.

Twinsmomma, I wonder if you're interpreting "tumor" here as cancerous (and you're correct that cancerous tumors are caused by mutations in genes that control cell growth and death). The tumor that the OP is talking about is a benign tumor, and those can, in fact, be caused by body stresses and other factors.

Regardless, I think the OP's endocrinologist, having the most information about the situation, should be the most trusted source of information here.

It is true, of course, that not all overtraining will result in serious health consequences, but it definitely CAN do so (not just problems in the hormonal system, but in other body systems as well) I'm so sorry that you're going through this, mkroyer, and hope that you and your treatment team can work things out for the best.

silverbirch 12-15-2010 02:38 PM

MK :hug: :hug: from another MK

thesame7lbs 12-15-2010 02:52 PM

MK, thanks for posting this -- it's awfully timely. I had just charted myself a high-workout-low-cal plan for the next 10 days. Will re-evaluate for sure.

Take care of yourself. :hug::hug:

midwife 12-15-2010 03:06 PM

Yikes!

I'm glad you're seeing an endo and getting some answers.

Thank you for the reminder. :hug: I hope we'll hear some positive resolution for this from you, MK.

mkroyer 12-15-2010 05:22 PM

Twin, its NOT cancer, thats the point... please refer to Mandalinn's post, who is able to explain what is happening in a more objective manner

Oh, and your balnket statements..." With that said, there is NO connection between the two".
and "I just dont want people actually believing that over-doing it can cause those sorts of problems." well, they can, and they did

I hope everyone ELSE reading this can see that in no way am i suggesting you will all have the same consequences i am experiencing[/B]! I also sincerely hope that everyone of you will hede your bodies warning signs as we struggle to lose weight and strive for greater athletic achievments! Sometimes the signs are hard to interpret, but when your body is unhappy, it will let you know in so many ways!

I appreciate everyone's kind words and encouragemnt, and i will definitnely keep everyone posted as i learn more... after my MRI on sat we will decide whther or not surgery will be required to remove the tumor....(prob?)

Saef-- thank you for your words especially! :)
I know i can sometimes come off as abrasive, uncaring, B*&#hy, perverse, etc etc.... i really tend to tell things like they are though, ya know? There is so much support, and warm fuzzies going around on this site, that sometimes people really just need to hear what they dont want to hear, if that makes sense? Im not afraid to "tell it like it is" lol ANd i do consider myself well educated in training, nutrition, dieting, running etc, both through personal experiences, self-education, and working closely with more than one well-respected fatloss/training expert in the industry.

in anycase my point still remains that overtraining, combined with undereating can be serious.... isee alot of scary indicators arouind this forum sometimes, but i would really like to stress that my own experience really is the (worst) exception, rather than the norm, ya know?

HOWEVER, i cant stress enough that i truly believe so many of our fellow chickies are stalled and NOT losing fat as a result of their overtraining..... this is a very common side effect! Please, if youve stopped losing and your nutrition is in check, dont think that ramping up your cardio to 3 sessions a day is the answer!! its not! train smarter, not harder, eh? ;)

joyfulloser 12-15-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkroyer (Post 3609387)
[B]HOWEVER, i cant stress enough that i truly believe so many of our fellow chickies are stalled and NOT losing fat as a result of their overtraining..... this is a very common side effect! Please, if youve stopped losing and your nutrition is in check, dont think that ramping up your cardio to 3 sessions a day is the answer!! its not! train smarter, not harder, eh? ;)

I AGREE with this 1,000,000,000,000,000 times!:D I just tested this theory after a stall and ate 1 single solitary CHEAT meal...yes, CHEAT meal...I like the sound of that..haha...anyways, I dropped 3 lbs in 3 days after that.

I'm convinced that working smarter is the key...thanks again Mkroyer and I'm hoping all the best for you. Incidentally, my sister is going through very similar problems as you (goiter/several growths on thyroid, etc.) and has to has surgery, so I KNOW how scary this is. THanks for your no nonsense approach...I'm sure I speak for many when I say, "we really APPRECIATE you". Take care of yourself.:hug::hug: