3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Exercising while sick? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/219701-exercising-while-sick.html)

3FCer344892 12-14-2010 02:55 PM

Exercising while sick?

Should I be exercising while I'm sick (like having a bad cough)?

seagirl 12-14-2010 03:20 PM

My rule of thumb is: above the neck (sneezing, dry cough) go ahead but take it easy, below the neck (stomach issues, cough in the lungs) skip the workout.

kaw 12-14-2010 03:37 PM

My rule of thumb is that you shouldn't go to the gym if you're sick enough that you wouldn't want someone as sick as you in the gym if you were well (got that? :). I'll often go for a walk or maybe a jog if I have a cough, but I try not to spread my germs around in the confined quarters of a gym or locker room.

That being said, sometimes it's better just to give your body a chance to rest up. When I'm sick and try to work out anyway, I often regret it because I can't lift as much as usual or my endurance goes to he** or I have no energy. There will always be tomorrow...

ncuneo 12-14-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

My rule of thumb is: above the neck (sneezing, dry cough) go ahead but take it easy, below the neck (stomach issues, cough in the lungs) skip the workout.
Ditto - While I was training for my half marathon I was sick quite often (DS's first year in day care). Just really listen to your body. I know it's hard to tell sometimes when you need a break to honestly let yourself heal and recover and when you feel like you're just using it as an excuse. I always listened to my body and after I'd been running for a little bit I usually felt better, if I didn't I cut my run or cross training session short.

3FCer344892 12-16-2010 08:03 AM

In all honesty, I kind of stopped exercising, and was thinking of starting it again (which is why I bought a bicycle), but then I got sick. The day or so was really rough with a fever, chills, and body aches, but now I really only have a cough, but my mom seems to think that if I even breathe the frigid air outside I will get sicker. I do have a lot of dvds and a stationary bike. I just feel like blah, because I've been feeling restless and have been eating way too much here lately.

joyfulloser 12-16-2010 08:15 AM

Your "MOM" is RIGHT!;) Stay inside...and....get well soon!:)

tytbody 12-16-2010 10:41 AM

You shouldn't push the crap through your body. You really have to rest.. Thas your body telling to do it..

If you don't recover, it willnake longer to heal. You need healing now. Try gentlenyoga but no Turbo fire .. Lol

3FCer344892 12-18-2010 03:57 AM

Thanks, everyone. I think this crud is almost gone. My cough has reduced a lot, but as soon as I step outside, I'm coughing for the rest of the night. However, I think I may have a sinus infection--yuck.

tytbody 12-18-2010 01:04 PM

Now you have to swim in liquids, if a sinus infection. Hope I get through this winter without one.

Cute kit tie even though I'm allergic to them. Lol