WOW! Now HERE'S A Power Walker!

• Saw this in our paper this morning...incredible lady!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,435746.story
  • Wow...she walked a marathon in a lil over 5 hours??? OUTRAGEOUS!!!

That said...I know a few older woman at my local park (in their late 50's early 60's) that can WALK faster than I could RUN/JOG at that time. I just started running at the time, so we'll see how I hold up against them in the Spring...I bet they'll still give me a WALK for my money! Haha..
  • Quote: Wow...she walked a marathon in a lil over 5 hours??? OUTRAGEOUS!!!
    Not if you train

My wife and I walked a marathon in 2001 in 5hrs. 43 min. We also trained 6 months with a group...

I think I can beat this lady (if I was training) on time but NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! could I ever walk 101+ marathons in my TOTAL LIFETIME let alone in one year like she is doing!
  • I think powerwalking IS HARDER than running. You feel it soooo much in your muscles..aarrrgh!
  • dang the girl is moving it. Moving. I think she likes to move it, move it. Congrats to her. We can do this. Oh yes we can thanks for the post. Inspiration for me to get moving,....... MORE!!!
  • Her time of 5 hours and 26 minutes gives her a walking pace of just under 5 miles an hour. It's a brisk pace to be sure but it's not racewalking speed.

Incidentally five miles an hour is my walking pace when I'm not trying to push myself.
  • Quote: Her time of 5 hours and 26 minutes gives her a walking pace of just under 5 miles an hour. It's a brisk pace to be sure but it's not racewalking speed.

Incidentally five miles an hour is my walking pace when I'm not trying to push myself.
    Cool....can you keep that pace up for 26.2 miles and do that 102+ times a year?
  • Quote: Cool....can you keep that pace up for 26.2 miles and do that 102+ times a year?
    Don't know. But I walk at close to that pace all day everyday on the job so it's definitely possible.