3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   December running! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/218473-december-running.html)

ncuneo 12-10-2010 07:52 PM

Wfonseca - I Loath the treadmill. Not as much as I used to, but if I can choose between the streets and the treadmill I ALWAYS choose the streets. The treadmill is so boring. The only thing I like about it is that I always run faster on a treadmill because I can push myself and I know how fast I'm going.

ETA: Forgot to share my milage this week. 3 on Tuesday, 4 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday and 4 today. I've been without access to the gym because we're in the middle of moving, so I've been getting in some extra running. Sunday I hope to do 8-10.

matt_H 12-10-2010 08:21 PM

WHOOHOOO!

I'm so glad I posted here to keep me accountable :). If I didn't post here, I'm sure I would have skipped the run.

Tonight I did 3 miles in the brutal cold. I have to say the first mile SUCKED. Breathing in the cold air made my lungs scream in pain. After that first mile I think I warmed up enough that I was able to keep going.

Tuca125 12-11-2010 12:50 AM

I am glad , i post too... I was faling sleep whit my baby ant them i thougt i have to go running i made a deal whit Matth ... so yea i did 2.5 miles .... thaks Matth i onw this 2.5 miles to you :)

wickedlady 12-11-2010 09:11 AM

well, my last few weeks have been kinda rough and low on the mileage. I am in school and going through finals... I have had to skip a few runs. I am still getting in at least 2 or 3 runs a week though. Then, I was laid off from my job on Thursday! :( Came as a total shock, kind of reeling over this. But I am planning on throwing myself into my running and enjoying some midday winter runs while I look for work.

cheryl126 12-11-2010 12:31 PM

You guys are all so inspiring and are definitely motivating me to get out there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_H (Post 3603471)
Tonight I did 3 miles in the brutal cold. I have to say the first mile SUCKED. Breathing in the cold air made my lungs scream in pain. After that first mile I think I warmed up enough that I was able to keep going.

You're braver than I am! I live in Boston too and it's been so cold and windy this week that I went to hot yoga instead:) Today looks very promising though.

Ever since I started running outside, I cannot run on the treadmill at all because I get so bored, so I'm trying to run outside as much as possible before the sidewalks are caked with ice.

thesame7lbs 12-11-2010 01:11 PM

I took a week off from running (on purpose, for rest and recuperation) and got back out there for the first time today. A kind of meh 6 miles, but it feels good to have it done.

I've found that listening to podcasts makes the treadmill much more bearable. I use the treadmill at the gym, so I also do some people watching and watch the giant TVs. If it's the afternoon I might watch Oprah, and in the mornings I watch ESPN or NFL network. I don't know why, but running, listening to This American Life on podcast, and watching a rerun of an old football game seems to work for me. :D

When I had a treadmill at home, I found it incredibly boring, so I made a rule that I could only watch trashy reality TV (one of my guilty pleasures) or Sex and the City if I was on the treadmill. I passes many a mile with the Real Housewives of Orange County. :o

cheryl126 12-11-2010 05:39 PM

I have to share my small victory...

I recently bought a pair of Vibram fivefinger shoes after reading the book, Born to Run, about barefoot running. It's been a slow start because it takes a while to adjust to that type of running without your calves killing you and I haven't had much time to run lately...and it doesn't help that it gets dark so early!

Anyway, I usually use a Nike+ chip in my shoe that connects to my ipod and tracks how fast/far I run. I knew that the nike+ was miscalibrated for my vibram shoes and I was running farther than it said, so today I figured that I probably ran 2 miles or so, but I decided to map my run on google maps to see how far I really ran. It turns out that I actually ran almost 3.2 miles! And I'm pretty sure that it was a personal best 5k time for me!

From May through October, I was running a 5k probably 4-5 times/week as my workout, focusing on getting faster. Today I ran my best time in 40 degree weather without even exercising regularly. I'm liking this barefoot running thing!

thesame7lbs 12-12-2010 12:02 PM

Cheryl, I am intrigued by the barefoot running but can't even imagine it! Maybe I will try a pair some day... I've been meaning to read Born to Run, maybe I will get it as an audiobook and listen while on the treadmill. It's going to be COLD this week so I'm sure I will be running at the gym.

Ran 6.6 today in the cold & damp. Second run back after a break is always better than the first! Felt like I could have gone forever but my hip was nagging a bit, figured better safe than sorry.

ncuneo 12-12-2010 03:20 PM

Turned out to be a great week. I pushed hard for 10 miles today and came in at 24 miles for the week.

I'm making some pretty lofty goals for next year. I'm running my next half marathon in august and want to get my time under two hours. I'd also like to see myself log 1000 miles next year. My next goal would be the LA marathon in 2012, but the jury is still out on that one.

krampus 12-13-2010 05:48 AM

I've injured myself somehow by wearing tight street shoes. After looking up my symptoms all over the Internet, it seems likely that this is Achilles bursitis - acute, sharp pain/soreness at the back of the heel that feels like metatarsalgia. Looks like it's open-backed shoes for me. I'm going to be very upset if this mucks up my vacation. Meanwhile I will be stretching, icing, and trying to stay off my feet.

:(

caroline519 12-13-2010 02:17 PM

I'm new here, but I thought I'd post my running, I'm just getting back into it. Yesterday was 2.7 miles and today was a bit over 4. I'll be busy tomorrow and Thursday, so I don't know if I'll be able to get another run in this week, since I am flying to San Diego for 2 weeks on Friday. However, I'll be running and going to the gym while I'm there!

matt_H 12-13-2010 02:40 PM

Sorry Krampus! :(

Ugh. Take a break from running and get healed. Hopefully a few days rest will be all you need.

This week I'm determined to run 4 days and at least 3 miles each time. Who is going to join me to run tonight? (virtually of course). If you agree to go out and run, so will I :)

matt_H 12-13-2010 08:54 PM

So I'm working back into running again. Tonight I did a little bit over 3 miles.

twinmommaplusone 12-14-2010 09:26 AM

Sorry MIA for the last few days! Finishing up my College Semester!

Saturday I had a 5k RAce- Came in 356 out of 806 over all- 12 out of 56 in my age group with a time of 28:42, not a PR but still...I'll certainly take it with a smile! The cold killed my lungs, but I best get used to it!

4 Miles in the pouring Rain on Sunday.

2 miles then 20 min stair climb finished up with another 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday.

Rest day today!

Happy Running and WTG Folks!

twinmommaplusone 12-14-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampus (Post 3605881)
I've injured myself somehow by wearing tight street shoes. After looking up my symptoms all over the Internet, it seems likely that this is Achilles bursitis - acute, sharp pain/soreness at the back of the heel that feels like metatarsalgia. Looks like it's open-backed shoes for me. I'm going to be very upset if this mucks up my vacation. Meanwhile I will be stretching, icing, and trying to stay off my feet.

:(

This happened to me once, wearing a pair of shoes where the screw to the heal was felt through the shoe, felt fine wearing them but I wore them all day and as the day progressed my feet became sore. I had that tender heal pain for well over a week, I kept running though. I learned my lesson, comfort before injury! Hope you heal up quickly! You should!