Workout wear & activities for the colder months?

• I really want to keep walking/hiking just being outdoors during the Winter months and I am having a hard time figuring out what gear I need and what I can afford. I am interested in Hiking, walking, snow shoeing (maybe I have arthritis in both knees) but I have to buy on a budget. I am really not a gym person but I finally LOVE working out. I seem to have a short attention span so I can do a few workout DVD's in a row but they are only 10 minutes long and even though I am very active throughout the day they don't give me the workout I need/crave so I really need something active/engaging and fun..any suggestions for places to buy gear and winter workouts? Anyone ice skate for fitness?
  • Hey there. Prior to Arizona I was in Michigan and we had some tough winters! When I was a more consistent runner, I would run through the winters out doors. I think for running/walking/hiking in the cold, the most important thing is to find good clothing to layer and good shoes.

For clothing, start with a good base layer made of a material that wicks moisture away. These shirts/leggings are everywhere now, you can even find them at Marshalls/TJ Max/sports authority, etc.... and then add a good hat (that covers your ears) and gloves. In the winter I would wear thermal pants (essentially long johns) and athletic pants on the bottom. On the top I would wear a long sleeve wicking shirt, a long sleeve tshirt, and then a heavy sweatshirt.

For feet it depends on what the weather is like. I heard that some people have had good luck with "yaktracks" which go over normal shoes and give you more traction in ice/snow.

Good luck and enjoy the winter!
  • It's Walmart all the way for me...

and I dress cheap and comfy Sweatshirts (oversized), thermal underwear, and running pants (the silky kind...) All for less than $50

*NOTE* Running Sneakers were $100...but can't skimp on them or will be in major pain!
  • I get a lot of my workout gear at Target. I think their C9 line is pretty good. The just recently stocked the stores with moisture-wicking cold weather gear.

I used to run in cotton t-shirts/long-sleeved shirts, etc, but once a friend introduced me to moisture-wicking fabrics, I was hooked. Even more so for cold weather, because it gets the sweat away from your skin and you don't get all clammy.

I have also heard that TJMaxx has great deals!
  • For those of you running in the winter - what about slipping on ice? Has that been a problem? For whatever reason, slipping on ice is the most uncomfortable feeling in the world for me (like I have no control - I don't know, it's weird). I am honestly scared to go running in the winter for this reason.
  • Moxie574- I would definately recomend giving snow shoeing a try. You can get inexpensive ones from websites like rei outlet, or seirra trading post. Or ask for some for a holiday present. Its not too hard on the knees, very similar to hiking. The shoes take a little getting used to but I love just walking in the woods and seeing nature covered in snow!

chubbyhippie- Google YAKTRAX They are a great solution to slipping around on the ice in the winter. They just go on the bottom of any shoe. I dont own any but my mom got some to keep walking outside in the winter months and says they are great when there is snow/ice on the roads. Just add a little more traction
  • Ice skating can be a workout, if you make it a workout. There's the shuffle around the rink that most folks do in public sessions...that might be a workout when you first get on skates, but soon fades to be easier than walking. I like dancing on roller skates, myself, since it's a fun way to keep me sweating and in "workout" mode the whole session. I'm sure you can dance on ice skates, too. Other things you can do on ice skates: hockey, speed skating or just fast laps, learning new tricks (turns, jumps, etc) or routines. You can tell if you're working out or just cruising, so just kick it up when what you're doing gets too easy to qualify as a workout.
  • For those running in the cold, how do you deal with breathing in the cold air?

Maybe this is incorrect, but when I run I breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. I've heard this is especially important when it is cold/dry because your nose kinda "warms" the air before it hits your lungs. But when I went running last week (and it was only 40) the cold air was burning my nose so badly I had to breathe through my mouth.

Should I wear a scarf over my face or some sort of ski mask? Hahaa, this might look really crazy.
  • Quote: For those running in the cold, how do you deal with breathing in the cold air?

Maybe this is incorrect, but when I run I breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. I've heard this is especially important when it is cold/dry because your nose kinda "warms" the air before it hits your lungs. But when I went running last week (and it was only 40) the cold air was burning my nose so badly I had to breathe through my mouth.

Should I wear a scarf over my face or some sort of ski mask? Hahaa, this might look really crazy.
    I would. You could wear something like a buff
    http://planetbuff.com/

Also, if you have a good sporting goods store near you like Rei, I'd go in there and walk around. Sometimes they have sales (Rei brand tends to be cheaper than other name brands) but it can also give you ideas of things to search elsewhere.

For icey weather, I recommend Yak trax. I bought a version of them recently at Costco but obviously haven't tried them yet. I have used yak trax in the past though which work wonderfully.

Layers are also important so layer it up.
  • Thanks Nelie. I do have an REI about a half hour away, and I am a member/owner there so I get some additional discounts.

I actually wouldn't have thought of them - thanks!