3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Heart monitors? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/217627-heart-monitors.html)

cherrypie 11-17-2010 04:22 PM

Heart monitors?

anyone use one? do you like it? do the wrist ones work or do I need a chest band? any recomendations?

just keep swimming 11-17-2010 04:33 PM

I have a Polar (I think it's an F5?) with a chest strap. I love it. I like to wear it to spinning and see if I can burn a certain amount each time. It's "coded" so the watch only responds to your chest strap, in case you're in a class with a lot of people nearby wearing them. I don't have any experience with the wrist-only ones. Hope that helped!

Edit: It's an F6. :D

marbear24 11-17-2010 04:54 PM

I love my Polar F6 [chest strap]. I've used it in the pool effectively as well [not all HRM's are water proof, so becareful].

joyfulloser 11-17-2010 04:55 PM

Polar F11 here:)

beerab 11-17-2010 05:11 PM

I've got the polar F11- LOVE that thing, one part goes on your chest, the other on your wrist- it's great- I love seeing my trophy when I get all my exercise in :)

just keep swimming 11-17-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbear24 (Post 3573006)
I love my Polar F6 [chest strap]. I've used it in the pool effectively as well [not all HRM's are water proof, so becareful].

True! I've never tried mine in the pool, but I previously had a Nike Imara, and the display was ruined pretty much instantly on contact with water. Like, condensation inside because I washed my hands while wearing it, and then completely ruined in the pool. And it's supposed to work underwater. I mean, maybe it was still monitoring my heart rate, but that is not all that helpful if I can't read the display! :lol:

pammi2003 11-17-2010 05:31 PM

I have a Sportline one that works pretty good. It's a wrist watch.
I hear the chest ones are more accurate though.

JackValens 11-17-2010 10:23 PM

I second the vote for a chest strap. They have been shown to be more accurate. Although I've used wrist monitors and as long as it's getting me motivated and off my butt.... It's working pretty good lol.

AmberM 11-18-2010 12:47 AM

I just bought a Timex with chest strap today. The strap isn't quite as comfy as my old Polar BUT you can change the battery in the pieces yourself whereas in the Polars if the battery goes out you have to send it back to the company so it's pretty pricey. Mine is also supposed to calculate calories but I haven't figured out how to do that yet *hehe*

Amber:)

fitkristi 11-18-2010 08:02 AM

Love love LOVE my pink Polar F6!!! The calorie burn estimates on websites or machines are always way too generous - its nice to know what I'm really burning!