3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   running questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/215435-running-questions.html)

coad786 10-21-2010 09:25 PM

running questions

Hi,

I read through the running facts but don't remember seeing info about:

when I run I can hardly catch my breath, dry heave, and sometimes throw up.

Do you all know how to fix this problem?

Also, what do you all do about dogs? I'm scared to death of being attacked by a dog due to previous experiences. Any suggestions?

toastedsmoke 10-22-2010 09:38 AM

About the first question, you're most likely running too fast (for ur current level) to sustain the pace for any amount of time. I got into running/jogging this year and I'm pretty slow, a real snail (though wayyyyyy faster than when I started) so I know this. I could run faster but then I'd be winded and out of breath quicker an liable to throw up if I pushed myself to continue. My suggestion would be to slow down for now and build up speed over time. Or alternatively run as fast as you're doing but do shorter run/walk intervals till you get better and have more stamina (I'd do the 1st option but the 2nd option should help too). Once you have the stamina to sustain the running motion for a while, it becomes easier to work on speed.

About the second question. I also have a bit of a closet dog phobia which is just one reason I'm not a huge outdoor runner. However, to be fair, I've noticed with most dogs in parks and trails and sidewalks, they're pretty well controlled by their owners and rarely show any interest in you unless you show an interest in them. Even strays I noticed seem to be more interested in scrounging for food than in you as you pass by. So just try to ignore them OR do what my friend who had a bad experience used to do, i.e. cross the street or give them a wide birth as you run by.

Ilene 10-22-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coad786 (Post 3532675)
when I run I can hardly catch my breath, dry heave, and sometimes throw up.

Do you all know how to fix this problem?

Also, what do you all do about dogs? I'm scared to death of being attacked by a dog due to previous experiences. Any suggestions?

For your first question I think you're trying to run too fast too soon... Slow down, get a nice pace going without getting out of breath then work yourself up. One way of doing this is by doing intervals of running one minute/walking one minute til you feel comfortable it'll take a week or two then add a minute each week, this is also the Couch to 5k program... you can google it...

Your second question was my problem too but it was unfounded because firstly I would run in areas where I knew there were no dogs. I only encountered a big dog once and he was way down the street so when I saw him I got on the veranda of a house and let him pass, he didn't even see me...

Hope this helps, keep us posted on your progress :D

coad786 10-23-2010 12:32 PM

Thank you all so much for your help. I know I seem a little scattered but I'm trying to find the right fit especially what I can realistically do consistently and not just leave after a short time.

So I really, really appreciate your help in my beginning and learning process. Hopefully next year this time I'll look like a new person and have the health of a new person :D

Robsia 10-28-2010 07:25 AM

Definitely try the C25K - that out of breath feeling will go away as your fitness level improves.

I don't have a dog phobia but I get slightly worried when I see a dog off a lead as I also think it will chase me, with the whole "dog instinctively chasing running person" thing, so I just get ready to kick really hard if it comes for me. Hasn't happened yet, although I nearly tripped over a nasty yappy little ratty one once that ran in front of me.