Keeping Warm

• I'm an outside exerciser - I walk - and now that it's getting cooler, this would be the season where I always quit. But I don't want to quit. As long as there's not ice on the ground, I'd like to get outside and walk rather than stay inside and do stairs or workout DVDs.

So how do you keep warm? This morning was in the low 40's and the gloves and jacket and ls shirt I had on didn't quite do the trick. Do I need to break out the ski gloves and ski pants? I'm planning to buy the Thermaskin long underwear from Lands End in my new size which is much smaller than my old size.

We get snow here, but it doesn't stay on the ground all winter, so when it's gone, I will be out walking.

I'm just looking for ideas as to what people use to exercise outdoors even when it's cold.

Thanks!
  • Long underwear bottoms is a must for me when walking in winter!
  • anything in fleece keeps the warmth in really well, without being really bulky. they make fleece hats, gloves, jackets (to layer under winter coat), fleece sweatshirts. several layers is warmer than 1 big layer. the air in between layers insulates you and fleece or wool socks keep your toes warm.
  • I spent alot of winters in Iowa. You can bet we learned how to dress warm. You go girl!
  • layer, layer, layer! A long sleeve tech shirt closest to your body is great because it keeps you warm but wicks away sweat.
  • Definitely layers on top - a wicking long-sleeved undershirt (I love Wickers!), a lightweight fleece pullover, and a windbreaking jacket. You generally don't need as much on bottom - tights (I wear Under Armour Frosty Tights) and windproof track pants should be enough. Also, you can lose a lot of heat from your head, so a wool stocking cap is a good idea (and can be easily tucked in a pocket if you find you don't need it.) You should feel slightly chilly when you first start, because you will warm up quickly and you don't want to get overheated.
  • I run in -20c/-4f all the time, although with running you need even less clothes than walking... Layering is your best bet, those long underwear sound perfect, with a fleece on top, your jacket and pant layers should be wind proof... Hat and gloves on really cold days to keep the warmth in... If you walk really fast the heat from your body will keep you warm...I love, love winter running/walking in crisp cold and sunny, no wind weather it's my favourite time of year....