3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/214576-running.html)

julibeanz144 10-11-2010 05:32 PM

Running

So I've decided to start running. I am having flashbacks about how much I despise running... but my husband said he would go with me so we can get healthy together.

How far should we go the first time? I know being uncomfortable is how you change your body... but how much is too much?

Karatemom 10-11-2010 05:54 PM

That's hard to answer not knowing your fitness level. Can you run without walking for at least 30 minutes?

julibeanz144 10-11-2010 08:18 PM

No way! haha

birdtostone 10-11-2010 08:27 PM

If you injure yourself, it's too much. I'd say take it easy starting out and as you get comfortable with running again, begin pushing yourself when you feel your body is ready.

Interval running may be your best bet.

As an example, if you were running on a track, you could run the straights and walk the curves, or the other way around until you've built yourself up to running an entire lap without walking. If you're running and find you can do more (or less) than you thought you could, adjust.

luckymommy 10-11-2010 08:31 PM

Yes, I agree with the interval idea. That's what I've been doing, but I do it at the gym. I walk at a pace of 3.4 for about 2 to 3 minutes and then, I run at a pace of 8 for 45 or 50 seconds. When I run, it's very uncomfortable and I can't wait to stop. I usually do this for a total of about 20 minutes and that feels like a very good workout. On other days, I do regular cardio or I'll do other types of workouts, but I don't do this high intensity stuff every day. I could probably jog now at a rate of 5.5 or 6 for a while, but I really prefer to do the sprints because it's supposed to be very good for weight loss. :)

matt_H 10-11-2010 08:51 PM

Maybe try to couch to 5K program? Its a run/walk program that gets people up to running a 5k in about 9 weeks.

ange82much 10-12-2010 05:09 AM

Agree with Matt the C25K program seems to really work (google it). Not done it myself but heard loads of positive reports.

thesame7lbs 10-12-2010 09:08 AM

A third vote for couch-to-5K. It's a great program for gradually building up. There's some evidence that people who alternate walking with running have fewer injuries. Lots of people run marathons using the Galloway method, which involves walking something like a minute after every 10 minutes of running.

Good luck and congratulations on getting started!

PS. I used to hate running but did it solely to burn calories/lose weight. Now I love it! Love it! Love it! Would rather run than go to Nordstrom. ;)

Ilene 10-12-2010 09:15 AM

Yeppers c25k is the way to go... if one week you find it too difficult just repeat it... it's a great plan :yes:

wickedlady 10-12-2010 11:14 AM

Yes, definitely start with run/walking... and DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR PACE! You'll get faster as your body gets used to it... but you have to be very patient and compassionate with yourself. You should not be getting totally winded.

joyfulloser 10-12-2010 02:07 PM

I just started running 4 weeks ago. Although I'm not doing any specific program, my pace seems to be similar to the couch to 5k program. I initially was only able to run for 30 secs, walk 2 min...run 30 secs...walk 2 min. and repeat for about 30 min.

4 weeks later, I just RAN my first mile today without stopping. I do a total of 4 miles/6 days per week, with the last mile sprint 30 sec/walk 1 to 1 1/2 min. and repeat.

How I do it, is just going by my polar heart rate monitor and how I feel. I run until my heart rate reaches 175, then when it does I try to slow down my run, but if my heart rate doesn't reduce significantly within 30 sec...I start walking until my heart rate drops to about 120-130 and start running again. This has worked out for me and my running time has consistently increased this way.

Hope this helps...happy running!:)

Jennie527 10-12-2010 02:37 PM

I just started the couch to 5K program last night. Whew! If the first week seems to easy for you, you can always start on like week 3 or whichever one seems best for your fitness level. :)