Is walking enough?

• After practicing maintenance for a month, I am ready to lose this last 10 - 15 pounds. I guess I needed a little "break" after a year of loss. I kind of burnt out and started dreading exercise and slipping with my foods. I know I need to get back on track. With Fall being my favorite time of year, I think I am more likely to stick with outdoor exercise so I have began walking briskly in the evenings. My route is about 3.5 miles and I walk it in 45 minutes.

I am wondering how many of you use brisk walking as your main form of cardio exercise? Do you think, at this stage of my weight loss, this will be enough cardio? I plan to add 2-3 sessions of toning per week once I get the new routine established. I know it is not getting my heart rate as high as my workout videos did but what good are the videos if I dread doing them

Your thoughts?
  • I was counseled not to do excercise that you dont enjoy because you wont keep it up, so I stopped running, I hated running and I didnt look forward to doing it, I walk briskly for 3 miles everyday and i enjoy it..
  • Maybe try changing up the walk a little by "interval walking" adapted from Dr. Barry Sear's PACE Program. Then you can just keep enjoying those walks, only you won't need to spend as much time, therefore getting more bang for your buck.

http://www.the-fitness-walking-guide...l-walking.html
  • I have lost 100lbs+ with walking as my main cardio. Intervals of any sort are a great addition as someone else mentioned

If you can add weight training, highly recommend it. Warning: you may loose inches and not as many lbs as you gain muscle definition so make sure to take measurements in addition to using the scale.
  • My girlfriend has lost a lot of weight by just walking... I still see her walking daily, she has been walking for at least 20 years and is still slim and trim...
  • Oh my goodness, one of our weight loss super stars around here lost over 100 pounds by walking circles around the INSIDE of her house!! Yes, oh yes, it can be done!

It's not enough for me...but that's because I'm a nut. If you enjoy it, then yes, absolutely.

I'd get that strength training up and running, though.
  • I walk! I have some other health issues that leave me quite exausted but I have been able to lose and at the moment maintain, just by walking. I walk between 10000 and 18000 steps a day (5 to 7 miles) with 3-5 either outside, on the treadmill, or the eliptical.
  • Thank you everyone! I am very encouraged by this. I was so burnt out and dreading my exercise routine. I feel like I have renewed strength and can carry on with the new routine, until the great Canadian winter hits and its freezing out lol. I will probably pick up on my exercise videos again at that point.

Thanks again
  • 45 extra minutes of walking per day will help you reach your goal if your nutrition is in check :-)
    Walking is better for your joints and a great way to grab some thinking time.
  • I've been going thru the same thing just got a little busy with other things and took some time off. But now I'm to the point I have to get back on track or else the work I've done up to this point would be for nothing. I've decided to get back on track beginning Monday and I will be changing things up so I don't get bored and stay motivated.