Signing up for my first half marathon!

• Hi everyone!
    I am officially signing up for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon here in Phoenix, AZ. Race day is January 16 2011. I am very nervous because I have only run one 5k. I figured if I get another 5K, a 10K and tons of training in, I should be ok to run 13.1 miles. Problem is, I'm not a very good runner. Im great at lifting weights and gaining muscle tone, but my cardiovascular endurance could use a makeover. I thought that signing for for the half marathon is a good way for me to work on that. Working towards a goal usually gives me motivation. Does anyone have any ideas on training for a half marathon or have any tips?

Thanks!
  • Hey I am in Phoenix too. I'm doing my first 5k for the Susan G Komen Race for the cure on 10/10/10. My goal is to do a half marathon next year but January I think would be too soon for me. I have a few more pounds to loose and the more weight I loose I figure the easier running will be. So I think maybe I will aim for a 10k in 6 months.

I talked with a gal the other week that has done half and full marathons and now she is training for an Iron Man. She said the night before to eat a lot of carbs like Spagetti, this will give you a bit more energy the next morning for the race.
  • Congrats on signing up and committing to running a half marathon!

A half is a great distance. It's far enough that you really have to work for it, but it's not nearly as time intensive and exhausting as a full marathon. I read in Runner's World that many people consider a half better for weight loss than a full, because you don't get quite so incredibly hungry.

I like Hal Higdon's training programs -- here's his half marathon novice. There are lots of programs out there. When I ran a half three years ago, I used one with a lot less running. I will try to attach it (couldn't attach it, PM me if you want me to email it). It was a much shorter program but the first week included a 6 mile run so you were expected to be at that level when you started.

Also, when I get up to the long runs (10 miles or more0 I start eating during my run. I usually have a GU around 8 miles to help with the last few miles.

Keep us posted on your training!
  • good luck! and don't worry, I only did one 5k before my half marathon and I was able to get to my goal of jogging the whole half marathon in a couple months. And it was a Rock n Roll half marathon as well (Virginia Beach). I did about a 14 week program, it wasn't Hal Higdon's but it was something very similar (5 days of running, one long day that increases by one mile every week and the other four days about 3-5 miles). It worked really well!

my best piece of advice is either find someone to do it with you and try to run the long runs together, but if there isn't someone else who will then find someone to keep you accountable. I post my training schedule to the fridge and my bf always knows if I do a run or not, which makes me stay more accountable.
  • I just ran my first half marathon .... It was a great expirince . ( it was my first race ever) i actuly jog the whole half in 2:15 min . I will do it again and again and again.

You can do it