Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default treadmill is harder than dvds

I've been doing TurboFire (kicking, punches, lots of jumping) and some other workouts. I've been basically aiming for an 800 calorie burn out on my HRM.

Well, I did my TurboFire workout and still needed another 300 calories burned to get to my 800 goal for the day, so I figured I'd fire up my treadmill for some more pure cardio. Set it to 3mph...and dam, I was sweating buckets. I had to stop to towel off a couple of times. This is with the air conditioner on. It felt harder than the Turbo workout...

Why would simple walking be harder than all the jumping I'm doing in Turbo Fire? I guess I need to start using my treadmill again, now I think about it, it's mostly what I used when I lost weight a couple of years ago.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #2  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

it's probably just because it's different. because those dvds are definitely not easy! Any time I do something different, it's way harder until I get used to it. It's good to mix it up!!

Last edited by pinkflower; 09-20-2010 at 09:44 PM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, it's totally the "new and different" thing. Happens to me when I try anything new too. The most embarrassing was when I visited my mom over the summer and got a pass to the YMCA. And I was huffing and puffing on the elliptical after 5 minutes (when I can do 30-60 minutes easy in my gym at home) BECAUSE IT WAS A DIFFERENT MODEL ELLIPTICAL. Like, the footpedals were in a slightly different position, that was it.

It kinda shows you a good reason for changing up once in a while I guess; you get good at what you're used to doing and it's probably not so much of a workout as it was at first.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I think there's also some exercise physiology going on -- like it was harder to walk because you'd already done a kick-butt workout and your body had already tapped all sorts of energy stores. If you did it the other way around -- walked first and then did the DVD -- I think you'd find the walking easier.

Either way, sounds like a great workout!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
I think there's also some exercise physiology going on -- like it was harder to walk because you'd already done a kick-butt workout and your body had already tapped all sorts of energy stores. If you did it the other way around -- walked first and then did the DVD -- I think you'd find the walking easier.
Either way, sounds like a great workout!
.... and the DVD harder.... Variety is the spice of life and exercising ... Keep up the great work and the varieties of workouts...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote