Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #1  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Default Requesting advice re: Aquafitness

Hi everyone,

My chiro suggested aquafitness as a good starter exercise, as it's easier on the joints and my weight will be supported by the water; I've been sedentary for quite some time, although I've just started on my stationary reclining bike. I wonder if any of you who have done aquafitness would have any advice for a beginner? How often does one usually do aquafitness? Do you do it barefoot, or wear watershoes? Is it particularly hard or drying on the skin? Any other advice or lessons learned?

I love the water, and feel like I could be in the pool every day!

Last edited by SeaWave; 09-10-2010 at 10:23 PM.
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My only advice is to DO IT.

Some people use shoes, but they're in no way required.

If you're in shallow water, it's just you and your suit required. If you're in deeper water, you'll get something to help you float (either a pool noodle or a floaty belt), but that's usually provided.

My sessions were always 10 minute warm up, 25 min cardio, 15 min strength training (either with noodles or water weights for resistance), 10 min cool down.

I didn't start until I was already at maintenance, but it was REALLY fun!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #3  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Several years ago, I did aqua aerobics classes. It was the perfect exercise for my fitness level at that time and I LOVED it. Here are some recommendations:

I always wore water shoes. It helps with traction while doing the exercises. Also, make sure you get a suit that is comfortable and supportive. I wore a sports bra made of a nylon/swimsuit type material and swim shorts. And make sure you wash your suit in Woolite every time.

Wetting your hair before you get in the pool helps minimize the damage the chlorine does to your hair. I also used Aubrey's swimmers shampoo in the shower afterward. After the shower, I always rubbed body oil (not lotion) all over my skin. Also, you may feel self-conscious about being naked and showering in the locker room...get over it! You need to get that chlorine out of your hair and off your skin as soon as possible.

If you live in a cold climate, make sure you're warm and dry before heading back outside. It's more comfortable...and healthier.

Have fun and good luck!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #4  
from Here to There...

Thanks for the replies, ladies. Amanda, after reading the story of your success, I wonder could you come give the aquafit classes? Really, Canada isn't as cold as they say it is

Rochester - Luckily (?), I don't have to be concerned with support (I had a mastectomy in July), but I will check for that shampoo. My hair is just starting to grow back in after chemo, and I don't want to lose it! I might wear a swim cap (ugh). I'm not sure what you call 'body oil' -- something like Keri Lotion, or something else? I normally have oily skin, and have never had to worry about dryness before, but I know chlorine can be tough...
Old 09-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 232/196/150

Height: 5ft6

I have just started an aqua aerobics class. I hated normal aerobics because I am so uncoordinated - this is nothing like that! You work as hard as you want - and while it is tough, you are not at the disadvantage you would be in a normal class. Great fun! Do it
MK2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #6  

One tip, especially if you go the barefoot route - make sure you land on our feet, not tippy toe. Staying on your tippy toes will casue you to get cramps in your feet and/or calves, and they hurt!!!

Do you bleong to a gym? Do they offer aqua classes? If not, you can just start out water walking and/or jogging. The you can add other stuff (jumping jacks, hopping, cross country skiing, etc).
StraitLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #7  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWave View Post
Rochester - I'm not sure what you call 'body oil' -- something like Keri Lotion, or something else? I normally have oily skin, and have never had to worry about dryness before, but I know chlorine can be tough...
This is the product I used. (Sorry for the delay in responding...I lost this thread!)
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #8  
from Here to There...

Rochester - thanks, looks interesting. I'll have to see if I can find it around here.

StraitLover - thanks for the tip re: avoiding cramps -- that would definitely be me! We have a recreational center not far that has aquafit (along with a lot of other things) that we'll be joining as soon as my swimsuit arrives (ordered on-line). I can't wait!