3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Elliptical... I hope this gets easier! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/211762-elliptical-i-hope-gets-easier.html)

bran0917 09-05-2010 06:33 PM

Elliptical... I hope this gets easier!

Ok, for the last month, I have been walking with Leslie between 4-6 miles per day. I just bought an elliptical and after about 10 minutes, I am dying!
I did it yesterday, and my legs are killing me today! Any advice, will this get easier?? Your advice would be appreciated!

Laureedee 09-05-2010 06:43 PM

It will get easier, over time. It's challenging at first, but it's just because it's new. Before long, you'll have to change the setting or do intervals or something to make it harder. Just stick with it!

Desert Agave 09-05-2010 08:58 PM

The first time I ever did the elliptical I barely made 10 minutes, and then I could barely walk after! What I did was increase my time by one minute every time I got on it. Sometimes I'd manage to increase it by more than that, but I always did at least one minute more. Eventually I was going for 45-60 minutes at a time. So, take heart. It will get better. I promise.

Sherrystanggirl 09-05-2010 09:46 PM

Right now I mostly use the treadmill. I'm really wanting an elliptical! Does sound like a hard cardio workout!

bran0917 09-05-2010 10:08 PM

Thank you Ladies for the encouragement. I was beginning to wonder! I mean... I am not THAT out of shape that I should not be able to handle this... but my legs hurt... I guess that is a good thing! ;)

marielenrdz 09-06-2010 03:58 PM

I had the same issue when I first got on my elliptical. I was shocked when I felt like dying two minutes into the workout! I did the same as the others, building up my time. I eventually did ten min in am, ten at lunch and ten after work. Now I'll do 30 min in am and 30 min after work. Whatever works for you, just go for it! I can't imagine adjusting the settings, though...I still huff through the last 5 min of my session!! And I haven't excercised since vacation time last month, so I feel like I'm starting all over! Ugh, might have to stagger my workouts again.

julie99s 09-06-2010 04:33 PM

That was me just two weeks ago. I had been doing treadmill time at the gym, and when I stepped on the eliptical, I swear I was going to fall over dead after the first 5 minutes. Somehow I managed to push myself to 10 and my legs were jello. Afterwards I did 20 minutes of treadmill time. I kept doing as much as I could and adding the treadmill. Now I'm up to 35 eliptical minutes. I'm hoping to hit 40 this week.

It will get better. Keep at it :)

bran0917 09-06-2010 05:01 PM

I am soooo glad to see I am not alone in this!!! I got up this morning... did 13 minutes, then hit the exercise bike... this afternoon, I was able to get back on it and do 15 minutes! Tonight, I will try my best to do another 15! I am already feeling better about this! THANK YOU!!!
Is 15 minutes at a time ok to start, if I do it two or 3 times a day... is it as good for you as doing 45 minutes straight?

SouthernComfort257 09-06-2010 08:08 PM

I am smiling!! As with the other members the same happened to me. I moaned, groaned, and took pain killer!!
My suggestion is to take Desert Agave's advice and add one minute every time you are on it.
The treadmill ruined my knees. The eliptical is a wonderful piece of equipment!!

bran0917 09-07-2010 08:59 PM

Ladies!!! I just HAD to share!!! I got up this morning... do 30 minutes... came home tonight... did 40 more!!! Im so happy!
You all encouraged me soooo much!

Who would have thought!?
I CAN do this!