Joining a Gym

• I just joined a gym. There is one close to my house. I am going to go tomorrow for the first time ever and I am so nervous.
    But I do have one question, and it may sound stupid, but what do I need to take with me?
    I know water, but what else do I need?
  • I take an ipod shuffle to listen to while I'm working on the machines. Also, you might want to have a lock for storing stuff in a locker (jacket, sweatshirt, purse, wallet, whatever). I take a bottle of water too (that I refill from the fountain).

I get pretty sweaty, and I don't shower at the gym since I live so close and walk, sometimes I'll take an extra tee shirt to change into. usually I walk home as is (doh!)

congrats on joining the gym, and enjoy!
  • Great job taking the step in joining a gym! It's totally fun. I'd recommend looking into what group fitness classes the gym offers because they are a nice motivational way to get started with know how to use the equipment and making a group of friends there.

To add on to what dragonwoman said, if you don't plan on showering at the gym, I do sometimes, but not always, but if I'm not I like to take a washcloth with me just to wash my face and arms at the end... feels more refreshing walking home that way.
  • Thanks so much for the tips!! I had NEVER been to a gym in my whole life until today. I worked out for 45 minutes, at a slow pace, but I DID IT!
    It was not nearly as scary as I thought it was going to be.
  • Way to go, strawberrybunny! You'll get strong fast if you keep it up!

The first day I got on the eliptical I thought I was going to die at 5 minutes. Now, after only 2 weeks, I'm going 35.

Keep at it!
  • A towel is good to bring with you too, if you get really sweaty anyways, haha.

When I was running I used to get so sweaty it was affecting me so a towel helped.